Wednesday, April 27, 2016

I love Peggy Noonan's writing. She always hits the nail right on the head.
Her recent opinion piece, "That Moment When 2016 Hits You" is one such example.
Hopefully, you can read the entire essay HERE. If not, I suggest you subscribe to WSJ.com. :-)
Here is a snippet:
I was offended that those curiously quick to write essays about who broke the party were usually those who’d backed the policies that broke it. Lately conservative thinkers and journalists had taken to making clear their disdain for the white working class. I had actually not known they looked down on them. I deeply resented it and it pained me. If you’re a writer lucky enough to have thoughts and be paid to express them and there are Americans on the ground struggling, suffering—some of them making mistakes, some unlucky—you don’t owe them your airy, well-put contempt, you owe them your loyalty. They too have given a portion of their love to this great project, and they are in trouble.
Yes, there is an ugliness in the current election cycle.  There is the boorishness of Donal Trump. The foolishness of Bernie Sanders. The smugness of Ted Cruz. And the barking dishonesty of Hilary Clinton. I am appalled at the insensitivity to persecuted Christian refugees in the Middle East and the contempt directed at immigrants, legal and illegal.

Noonan describes her friends' reactions to what is going on. And then how she herself came to end up in tears. "Because too much is being lost. Because the great choice in a nation of 320 million may come down to Crazy Man versus Criminal."

Marco Rubio, Rick Santorum, and Carly Fiorina had the potential to be great statesmen. But the voters have rejected them in favor of louder candidates. Yes, there is Ted Cruz. Yes, Ted. He loves the Constitution. He loves this country. But he lacks the skills of great oratory and the masses are preferring the circus act over real ideas.

Is moral relativism to blame? If there is no truth, are there no ideas to reference? No principles to invoke? Is it all about what's-in-it-for me? Or has the average politician become so materialist, so lustful for power, so slimy that the transparency of Donald Trump trumps everything else one might want in a candidate. 

Were I not a Christian I could look at this election cycle with despair. But my God reigns and I know he has a plan.  Perhaps we are being given the candidates we deserve. A case could certainly be made for that.

But it is with not a little consternation that I realize I may indeed need to decide to vote for either the Liar or the Lunatic.

No comments: