Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tawas Point Lighthouse

The Tawas Point Lighthouse was the site of another victory over anxiety for me this summer.

I have never liked heights and never felt the need to overcome this dislike.  But after my victory at The Shard in London this summer the Tawas Point Lighthouse did not look like such a challenge.


Here I am with my daughter, feeling quite confident of my newly found courage...


Then I found out there are 85 steps to the top, broken up by 3 landings.  OK.

Then I realize that the steps are metal grated steps that you can see through....all the way down the 85 steps.

I took a deep breath.  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  The tickets were already purchased, but these were only $2.00.  I decided I'm going up.


It wasn't as difficult as I thought.  In fact, it wasn't very hard at all.  Above is the beautiful view from the top.


And here is the light-- my proof that I made it to the top.  The guide explained to us that it's an electric light now and that park rangers come out periodically to change the bulb.  Of course, my son-in-law then quipped, "I guess then we couldn't get away with replacing it with a disco ball." LOL

I expected the descent to be harder than the ascent but it really wasn't.  God is good.  All the time.

One very interesting aspect of this lighthouse is that the public can actually stay in it as part of the Tawas Point Lighthouse Keeper program.

Imagine looking out your window and getting a bird's-eye view of sandy beaches, wetlands, shorebirds, an occasional fox and fresh blue water in almost every direction. From that same window, you can watch the sunrise and the sunset, all for just $225 per week. Sound too good to be true? Here's the catch - you live like a lighthouse keeper. That beautiful scenery is partially paid for with your own elbow grease. 
Through the Tawas Point Keeper Program, regular folks apply to be a keeper for a week, usually Friday to Friday. Peggy Allen, a Department of Natural Resource and Environment (DNRE) historian at Tawas Point, coordinates the program. Allen welcomes and trains the keepers in everything from the history of the lighthouse to where to find the lawnmower. The keeper's primary responsibilities are to greet guests and tell the history of the light, but it often goes much further. Keepers quickly adapt to wearing many hats, from tour guide to gardener to window washer.
Sound like fun?  I would love to do this some summer....And then I would climb up and down multiple times, I guess.  I think I could handle it.  Because God is good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is it, Rosemary? Suzanne

Rosemary said...

Hi Suzanne, using the mitten-hand map it's about where the middle joint of the index finger is. How's that for a location in the age of Google maps? LOL It's on Lake Huron. I bet you would love to spend a week there as a lighthouse keeper. Am I right?