Friday, May 16, 2008

My mother the actress

My mother was a great actress.

On one occasion my brother had a gag item that looked like a small pool of vomit. It was just the right size to have been left by our miniature dachshund. We were about nine and ten years old, I think. My brother put it in the middle of the living room and called,

"MOM, GRETA THREW UP!!!"

My mom, who NEVER swore said, "That d___d dog!!!

(My brother and I are already stifling laughter)

She came out with a paper towel, cupped it over the item and scooped it up. Then without the slightest twinkle in her eye she said with all seriousness,

"Wow. That came up really easily." She then took it over to the garbage can, dropped it in, and walked away, without a word.

My brother and I almost died silently laughing. It was silent because we wanted to keep up the pretense that we had actually fooled her. That's what made it so funny.

We knew we hadn't fooled her. And she knew that we knew that we hadn't fooled her.
But she wouldn't let on because We were having so much fun!!
She was a great actress and a great mom. We really miss you a lot, Mom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading this and having so many good 'mummy memories' about my own mother, makes me really feel for those who have not known that kind of love, the kind of relationship we've had.

about the vomit....they still make those plastic vomit splodges...my son got one with a joke book he bought a couple of years back....yuck! I always play along though, of course ;-)

Kellan said...

What a great story and what a great mom!! Little Billy would love to have played that gag on me!

Have a good Sunday, Rosemary - see you - Kellan

Lyndsie Miles said...

That is a wonderful memory of your mother! My children aren’t old enough to understand the fake vomit yet, but I’m sure they will. I will need to remember to play along to keep the fun going!

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

I love it! I hope my kids remember me like you do your mom. I hope they have lots of stories about how weird and funny I was and not so much about how I made them clean so much and yelled at them for fighting!