Wednesday, October 10, 2018

A Reunion, Thanks to Facebook



On my recent trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula I had the pleasure of getting together with an old college friend of mine who lives up North and whose home was right along the route we were taking.

It was so much fun. Katy came with her husband whom I had met many years ago and they met Mike and me at a coffeeshop.

I don't know how many years it had been since we had seen each other. She didn't know either. Probably at least 30 years, I imagine.

Katy was the person in my dorm who always had the ready smile, the easy laugh. If you saw Katy in the cafeteria you'd think, Cool. I can sit with Katy. (That was when every dorm at MSU had its own cafeteria and we would eat with our friends. It was great for forming a sense of community. We ate together!)

We caught up on the news of old friends and laughed about old times. Sad to say, a few of our old friends had passed away. Sobering news.

Without Facebook I would not have known where Katy was. We also would not have known anything about our old college friends. Katy had found many of them simply by searching Facebook. For all its flaws, for all the criticism we give it, Facebook does help people to stay in touch. I have many friends with whom I might have lost contact completely were it not for Facebook.

So Katy is my new long lost friend. :-) It was great to see her smiling face again!

No comments: