Tuesday, July 03, 2018

Grandpa, The Baby Whisperer....



My husband has many gifts. But, in this stage of our lives, one of the most impressive is the ability to calm and entertain babies. The babies I refer to, of course, are our grandchildren. This little grandson loves his Noah's ark set. It's a lovely wooden set, with a number of animal pairs, all painted beautifully. I had played with them with Joey, matching the animal pairs and marching them into the ark.


I was surprised, then, to hear true belly laughs coming from the other room as Grandpa helped play with Noah's ark. I went out to see what was so funny, only to find that my husband was having the animals all fight each other! What?! The animals on Noah's ark are fighting?? My daughter-in-law kindly jumped in and said, "Well, I'm sure they did fight. They were all animals, you know." True. And my toddler grandson found it hilarious.

But what is most impressive is how Grandpa can calm the little ones. He just has a way of talking to them in a quiet, gentle tone of voice about pretty much anything and they just start to settle. He says he just talks about what's around them. 


And they listen. Quite attentively. He tells them things that maybe they don't know. Maybe they are mesmerized by the gentle cadence of his voice. Maybe they are thinking.


But, when they are tired, this is what usually happens. They're out like lights. I don't know how he does it. That's why I've dubbed him the baby whisperer.




He has become a favorite of all three grandsons. It helps that he has endless patience and is always gentle and kind...even when they are throwing books on him in the morning as he tries to sleep a little longer on a fold out couch.


 He doesn't care. He will just roll over and give them his warm grandpa smile. He has that knack of whispering what they love to hear.


That's why he's the Baby Whisperer...except, of course, when he's inciting riots on Noah's Ark!!! LOL

No comments: