Wednesday, June 06, 2018

I love hanging out with my daughters and daughters-in-law. They are great company, all of them. (I have three daughters and two daughters-in-law.)


I meet my daughter Mary (above) every week for lunch. We catch up on the little details of life that aren't important enough to text or call about. She tells me about what's going on with her, and I tell her what's going on with me. It's a sweet time and I very much look forward to it every week. I can't eat gluten and it warms my heart that she is a very strong advocate in restaurants. When I say that I don't want to bother people she says, "Mom! Tell them!" And she's right.


Last week my daughter-in-law Elle joined us. Double fun!

Relationships between mothers and adult children are different than when the children were young or teenagers. I try to remind myself that it's no longer my responsibility to guide them in decision making. In fact, their decisions in many ways are none of my business. Unless, of course, they choose to talk about them or even ask my opinion. If I'm not asked, I try not to share my opinion except in fairly neutral ways, as you might with a friend.

This is not always easy. My children are all responsible adults, but they are still young. Nevertheless, they have a right to live without unwanted parental intrusion. If my adult children are reading this they are probably thinking: Would that you actually did this! Ha! And my response is that I'm doing my best. And, as always, my best will often fall short.

I am blessed that my adult children do spend time with me. It helps that most of them live quite close by. Sometimes they will even say the rosary with me. How cool is that? I am very, very blessed.

No comments: