Monday, June 11, 2018

Gluten Free Sweets...and a Confession


I cannot eat gluten. It's not that I will die if I eat it...I'll just feel like it.  Yes, gluten and I do not mix. I thank God that I discovered this fact before the effects got any worse than they did. Besides horrendous digestive issues, I also had trouble with knee pain not improved by physical therapy, extensive muscle aches and pains, headaches, fatigue and general tummy trouble. ALL of these symptoms were alleviated within a few months of no gluten. Yes, you might have to give it up for a number of months before feeling the full effects. It was quite rejuvenating for me. I will never, ever intentionally eat gluten again.

So that means a whole lot of foods are off limits. Except for the gluten free varieties, I can eat no bread, no pasta, almost no baked goods (except gf). Yes, I'm talking about giving up bagels, donuts, cookies...an awful lot of foods I loved. And that's just the obvious culprits. There are also flavorings that contain gluten, thickeners, coloring....I have to check everything. And, let me tell you, it is SO WORTH IT.

So, I found this package of gluten free chocolate chip cookies from Tate's Bake Shop in Busch's while shopping hungry. Of course, I bought them. For the record, Busch's has a lot of labeled gluten free items and even a chicken salad in the prepared food counter labeled gluten free. I buy it every time I go in there.

So what's the confession? I ate the entire bag in 24 hours!!! (So embarrassed.) To be fair, I should say in my own defense that there were only about a dozen in there. And as the package says, they were "deeply delicious" and "uniquely crispy." Still, a dozen cookies is a lot to eat in 24 hours. But I never get cookies, OK? Were they deeply delicious? I'm not sure what that means. They were very good. If some things are deeply delicious, are others superficially delicious? Hmm, yeah I can think of a few things. Some candy and some packaged food, for instance. Uniquely crispy? They were crispy. Maybe not uniquely so.

But they were quite good and I very much enjoyed them.  I recommend them. They would be good by anyone's standards, whether you can eat gluten or not....but don't eat the whole package. You'll feel guilty.

No comments: