Monday, April 30, 2018

Will Anything Survive the Tearing Up of the Yard? Yes!

In addition to the excavation of the new room, more excavating was done to bury the electrical cable, pretty much right along the line of some old daffodils. I moved a few things in the garden before construction began, but not all that much. Mainly sentimental items and a few plants I really love.

Blaise, construction supervisor
After the digging was over and the trench refilled this was about all that was left-- one little piece of a mangled bulb. I thought, Oh well, I'll plant some more.


When, lo and behold, a few weeks later these started appearing-- daffodil stems!! All the ends were cut off, but they kept growing. I don't know where they were in the previous picture, but somehow they found their way back to light.

Now a few are even starting to bloom. Amazing. Mind you, these are old bulb that have seen many a Michigan winter. Very hardy stock. First we saw this....


And then..... their little smiling faces!!


And more good news. Among the sentimental plants I "transplanted" were peonies I had brought from my parents garden at my family home. I have transplanted in quotes because I had very little time and I really just yanked them out of the ground with a shovel, breaking many roots and then threw them back in the ground in a relatively safe place, buried them again and wished them luck.



But here they are coming back up. Living things always push forcefully toward life.

Thank you, Lord. Thank you for the peonies. Thank you for life.

No comments: