Monday, December 01, 2008

When to allow heels....

I bought my daughter her first little pair of heels.

I think it's a tough call to know when is the right time to allow these kind of grown up things.
She's thirteen.  I don't let her wear makeup except a little colored lip gloss.  She looks so lovely anyway, she really doesn't need it.

Her school doesn't have dances but she has asked to go to other middle school dances and I have said no.  Dances even on the high school level are often not the healthiest social environments.  I just didn't see how allowing her to go to middle school dances would be in her best interest.

So.  She wanted a little heel.  A lot of her classmates wear them.  And she hasn't been badgering me about it.

This is what we found.

I think they're cute.  And since it's a wedge it will be a little easier to walk on than other styles.

She loves them.

Even in jeans they're pretty cute.  Her class will be going to see "A Christmas Carol" this month.  It's a dressy occasion and she can wear these with her red dress.

She's happy.  I'm happy.

12 comments:

Lyndsie Miles said...

A fun step into womanhood! I started wearing heels a bit younger. I started ballroom dancing when I was 12 and heels are part of the art form... that and being 5'1" it helps to have a little lift to being a little bit taller. =) Cute, cute shoes!

School dances don't seem very healthy in my opinion either. As much fun as it would be to go, having friends over or even having your own dance would be a much more enlightening environment.

...or I always recommend getting into ballroom dance... so much fun!

Sarah - Kala said...

How fun for her! Those are cute!! My girl got her "shoes" last week - she'll be 13 this month. She's so excited - but practical about it. :)

ukok said...

those shoes are so cute, but grown up at the same time. I think they look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

How cute! I think they're appropriate for her age -- not too high.

I remember wearing stockings for the first time -- I was in sixth grade and could wear them only to sing in the Christmas concert, and then not again until I was a little older. I don't remember my first "heels" -- probably not until the summer before high school when I had some family weddings.

Knowing your daughter's current school, I wouldn't have a problem allowing my child to attend a dance, if they had one. No way would I allow my child to attend a dance at another school at that young age! I didn't even allow Teddy to attend dances at other schools while in high school. You just never know what the chaperone situation is. I think that at FGRHS it's pretty good.

Mimi said...

Those are very cute, and I agree, very appropriate.

Suzanne said...

I am happy that you are able to discuss these things with your children and you come to some kind of mutual understanding conclusion.
You are blessed. Arguments have happened here over so many of those things and many things the Lord wins and some I'm not so sure. I try.
Pray for the rest of us on these things, will you? :)

Anonymous said...

Oooohhhhh! Where did she get them? I want a pair=0)

Mike stayed for pizza last night and it was great to have him here. What a doll!

Love You!
Mary

Kellan said...

Those are PERFECT shoes for a thirteen year old girl - great choice - very cute!!!

Have a great week - Kellan

Jean Heimann said...

Those shoes are darling, Rosemary! In fact, I wouldn't mind having a pair! :)

I remember wearing heels for the first time when I was about that age -- it made me feel so grown up.

BTW, I have tagged you for the Sixth Things That Make Me Happy Meme. Check out the details here: http://catholicfire.blogspot.com/2008/12/six-things-that-make-me-happy.html

Nancy Carabio Belanger said...

Oh, how sweet that is. That takes me back to when I was thirteen. Fond memories of growing up! You are a good mom!

Rosemary said...

Oh, you guys are so sweet. Mary, I understand you also supplied him with sheets since he left his here at home. LOL Guys. Thank you! It was great seeing you all!!

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Oh my! Those are *adorable* shoes! What a fun milestone!