Tuesday, November 25, 2008

the Christmas Countdown....

She really wanted it.  She saw it in an advertising flier.  My youngest thought this was just the neatest Christmas decoration you could possibly have.  

I could imagine the delight on the face of my nephews as they saw this "countdown."  I knew my godson would be quite obsessed with it and would run back and forth to update us on "the countdown."

I also knew it was a completely frivolous expense, devoid of the real meaning of Christmas.

But my youngest liked it so much.  And she has had some challenges this year.....

I told her it was an unnecessary expense.  It wasn't cheap.  I told her it was my decision and that she should not continue to ask me for it.  She said, "OK," with a sad look.  Then I said.....

"Now put it in the cart!"  The look on her face was priceless.



So now I have this thing and it is indeed counting down.  Turns out only my youngest likes it. The other kids think it's tacky and can't believe I would put this in our front yard.

I guess it is tacky.  But then aren't most Christmas decorations tacky?  I mean even the outdoor Nativity Scenes (of which we have one) are not exactly works of art, are they?  Isn't decorating for Christmas supposed to be a little tinsely?  Isn't putting multi-colored lights all over your house a little tacky?

Will it drive my neighbors nuts?  (It might drive me nuts with the constant reminder that the clock is ticking!!)

What do you think?  Too tacky?  (You can be honest.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE it! LOL

You are absolutely right. Blessed are the tacky for they shall have more fun on Christmas!

Mimi said...

Bwahahahahahahhahahaa.

And, that's all I'm going to say about that.

Kellan said...

Oh - you old softy! This is too cute - love it!! My kids would love that too!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving - Kellan

Anonymous said...

Rosemary, don't you know that some things are so tacky they are hip, cool and happening! This is terrific. I'm kind of glad i don't have one, but that is only because i am a completely uncool person. LOL!

Seriously though, enjoy that you have a child young enough to have wanted this in the first place. They grow up way too soon and as your young one grows older, will probably be heard saying 'Mother, what on earth did you listen to me for, when i said i wanted us to have one!'

Lyndsie Miles said...

I think it's great! My little ones would love it! They love decorations of any and all kinds!
Enjoy!

Sarah - Kala said...

Too bad it's a plug-in or I'd cart that bugger around on my chest to drive everyone else insane at all the shopping centers. I know: I love to spread christmas angst rather than cheer. :) Just kidding. I think it's cute!!

Ann said...

Nah, you can't be too tacky when it comes to Christmas decorating.

Besides, and more importantly, you've made a wonderful memory for your youngest. What you want to bet that when she's 50 this is one of her most vivid Christmas memories?