Friday, October 31, 2008

How can Catholics vote for Obama?

I haven't been blogging much at all this week.  I've been rather frantically helping a child finish her quarter's schoolwork, preparing for out of town guests this weekend, preparing for Halloween, and obsessing about the election.  Hardly read anybody's blog.  I'm sorry.  One of those weeks.

OK.  Here's what's on my mind.  The pro-life vote and Obama.  I have lots of reasons to not vote for Obama,  but the most important reason is literally millions of human beings whose lives will be in grave danger if Obama is elected.

Obama has promised to introduce the Freedom of Choice Act to Congress if he is elected.  If this act were to pass, as it might if there is a democratic majority, it would not matter if Roe v. Wade were overturned.  All state laws making abortion illegal would be overturned because federal law takes precedence over state and local laws.

Obama, as we know, (see ad on my sidebar) has also voted against the Born Alive Infant Protection Act.  In other words, he does not think babies who survive an abortion should be entitled by law to care.  His excuse that these babies were covered under existing law is ridiculous.  It was because these babies were not being given care that the act was introduced. But even if it were true that the act was redundant why not vote for it anyway?  Why be one of (I believe) only two legislators to vote against it?  I can think of no other reason than to demonstrate to the pro-abortion lobby that he will not vote for ANY rights for the unborn.

So.... you Obama supporters, how can you vote for a man who so profoundly disrespects human life?  Do you think that unborn humans are not entitled to full protection under the law?  Do you think that this is one of many issues to consider?  I believe that this issue is no less grave than if he were supporting the "right" of a woman to kill her baby up to, say, six months of age. Both are infanticide.  If you think Obama's abortion position is not as serious as it would be if he were advocating infanticide of already-born babies, then you are not really pro-life.  A baby at six month gestation  (or at any time during a pregnancy) is just as human and deserving of protection as a six month old baby.  If you are Catholic and you are arguing this way, your position is not in keeping with Catholic teaching. NOR IS IT RATIONAL OR IN ANY WAY CONSISTENT WITH AN ELEMENTARY KNOWLEDGE OF BIOLOGY.

I'm sorry if I am offending readers who I know are decent people but who are holding this position which I frankly think is indefensible.  If I'm missing something let me know!!!

10 comments:

Suzanne said...

You are not missing anything. The truth is not something that Rosemary or Suzanne or any of us just made up in our heads.. the TRUTH is what it is...it should not be ignored. For me, I guess if I had not lost a little one to Heaven at such an early age in the way that we did, I may not understand that truth as well, but I can't change that now...the truth hit and it hit hard.
Obama would not even try to help our sick son live one day...not the way he voted in Ill. Under his kind of direction, he would not have gotten much of the medical attention he did, which gave us a few more days of the most beautiful smile in all the world. :) Thank you for giving it your best effort, Rosemary.
God bless you...you have acknowledged Christ before man and He will acknowledge you before God.

Lyndsie Miles said...

Rosemary, I am just as passionate as you on the subject. I don’t understand how any human on this earth could see anything but life, no matter what stage of conception and development a child is in.
For me, this topic could change my vote in a second. Nothing is more precious then life. I just don’t understand, especially after birthing three children so far and expecting my fourth, how anyone could make the assumption that life doesn’t begin upon conception.
To me the bonds that create life are sacred and not to be used casually, but only with the one you are legally and lawfully wed to.
In a magazine I read last month from my church I read a wonderful article titled, “Abortion: An Assault on the Defenseless,” by Russell M. Nelson. Russell M. Nelson is a very accomplished doctor and I value and love his insight and explanation of just how serious abortion is.
Here’s the link:
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=b4b8db98e2b9c110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1
Obama has no vote from me in any way. Anyone who doesn’t hold life as sacred and believes it is a woman’s choice to kill an unborn child has no vote from me.

Lyndsie Miles said...

One more site I like that was just sent to me that I thought you would enjoy:
http://americaschoicenow.com/

Sarah - Kala said...

Never apologize for the truth - many cannot handle it. The truth is supposed to awaken people and it usually begins with anger; but it's not you they are angry with. The truth is: we can't do everything we want because it feels good or feels right . . . I don't care if I offend anyone with the truth that abortion is murder and we've got genocide in this country because of it.

Anonymous said...

Rosemary, if you let me, I'd like to share a story. Last weekend, three of my children and I were shopping at the supermarket. While we were waiting in line, an older man from Vietnam got into line. He was wearing a McCain/Palin button. I smiled and said, "It's nice to see another McCain supporter in Vermont."
The man came up to me and said quietly, "Sen. McCain brought me here to this country and saved my life." He repeated that sentence again.
Isn't it funny we don't hear those type of stories in the mainstream media? I say this, and I'm a journalist.

Anonymous said...

A Caholic with a formed conscience can not vote for Obama. And shame on Biden.

This morning the mainstream media FINALLY published something about the mainstream media being slanted for Obama. Like duh! They publish this on a weekend right before the election when a quarter of the country has already voted.

In any case, want some jasmine tea? I have some that has a hint of vanilla and does not need sugar or honey. WW approved and yummy!

Rosemary said...

Suzanne, God bless your little one. That kind of pain can really sharpen one's focus. And you are so right.
Lyndsie, I totally agree. Thanks for the sites.
Sarah, yup, you said it.
Gail, wow. You're right you don't hear these stories of McCain's courage and heroism. Would love to hear more of the details of that story.
KM, interesting that they finally admitted it. It shows the strength of McCain's message that he's doing as well as he is with the media being just an extension of Obama's campaign. And I would LOVE some of that jasmine tea with a hint of honey! I'm about to have some Lady Grey right now.

Stevie Moon said...

You're so right Rosemary. So many of my Catholic friends are voting for Obama and I want to break down a cry when I think about it.

I just have a strange peace that McCain is going to win. I don't know why and certainly nothing I see on TV supports that "feeling". I will keep praying and fasting until the polls close!

Rosemary said...

May that strange peace be well-founded!! Your comment has brought tears to my eyes.

Suzanne said...

We will all keep praying. There is also additional Eucharistic Adoration going on in many places. Praise You, Lord Jesus. We all just need to sit with You.