Monday, September 22, 2008

Family Moment Monday-- Label memorabilia!


Motherhood for Dummies hosts Family Moment Monday.  Be sure to check it out for other great ideas for family activities, crafts, lessons learned, or anything you can do/learn/enjoy as a family.

OK.  I can hear my regular readers already saying, "OK.  OK.  We get the idea."  

My message:   Label stuff!!!!

But I just have to give one more example of why it's important.  The above collection was one of the last finds we made in my parents' house.  It was way back in an upper cabinet and was almost left to be torn down with the house.

Imagine the awe my daughter and I experienced as we pulled out the handwritten note from my mother.  I don't know if you can see it.  It reads:

Helen's baby shoe
     "        blanket holders for baby carriage
           "        World War II  Air Raid Warden badge and whistle
    "        garters (wedding)
    "        Dad's World War I hat

She had told us about being an Air Raid warden with her father and how they had to make sure that everyone's lights were out during the drills.  If they saw a house with lights on she had to blow her whistle and her father would go up to the house and tell them they had to turn all the lights out.  This was when military maneuvers were based on visual sighting and there was concern that we could be attacked by the Germans from the Atlantic.  She lived in New Jersey.  Her teeth marks are visible on the whistle.

One of the garters has a tiny pocket and in the pocket was an old penny from the 50s, when she was married.

If these items had not been labeled I'm not sure I could have figured it out.  I certainly would not have know whose items they were.

Because we know, these are very precious objects of family history.  All of my children looked at them and handled them with great respect.

Having these items and knowing whose they were and what they meant enriches our family history.  It makes all of our family,  but especially our children, come to a deeper understanding of who we are and who were those who came before us.  

So take the time for future generations.  If you are saving something of sentimental value just write a little note with it.  Your descendants will be grateful.

May my dear mother rest in peace.  I have a feeling she's smiling right now.

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

How beautiful. I am misty.
Thank you for the thought to remember to do this. You are right...we should.

Lyndsie Miles said...

Wow, that is a lesson in marking important objects. My grandmother was amazing at this... I know I need to start labeling now.
What wonderful items to find!

Sarah - Kala said...

That stuff is just too cool!!

Mandy said...

Yes, it is so important. I have so many things I don't know the story behind it; however, saying that I have not labeled anything of mine either. Maybe I will do that now!

Kellan said...

What precious family heirlooms and yes - so good that they were labeled so you have some history to go with these lovely items!

Take care - Kellan

Munchkins and Music said...

Another great idea!