Monday, September 29, 2008

Family Moment Monday-- Exploding Colors

Motherhood for Dummies sponsors Family Moment Monday.  Check out her site for lots of other ideas for family projects, activities, lessons learned, etc.  

I haven't done this in years.  It's a really fun project for preschoolers.  They love it.

First, pour some whole milk into a pan pan and let it sit until it's room temperature.



Then, put some food coloring in three sections of the pie plate.  I used blue, red, and yellow.  
(When I do it again I think I'll use even more food coloring.)



Then drip just a few drops of dish detergent down the side of the pan.  I was told that Dawn works best.


Almost immediately the colors start to move. Somehow, the detergent changes the chemistry of the milk and everything starts moving.  The colors start to swirl.  The kids love it.


Much discussion follows as the kids exclaim about what's happening.  You can SHOW them how colors blend and make other colors.  They love it.  It all happens pretty fast.

Oh.  And I would recommend that you put the pan on the floor because as the kids try to get close they are very apt to bump the pan and then it doesn't work as well.  Also, looking straight down gives you the best view.

(I used half and half and I really think the blending works a little better with just whole milk.  This was a little TOO thick.)

Have fun!!!!!

10 comments:

Suzanne said...

Wow! This is beautiful! I can't wait to show my grandboys next time they are over. Mimi and Science 101!!! LOL!

Melissa said...

Oh that is prety cool...I like that!!!

Munchkins and Music said...

I am excited to try this one with my kids! Thanks for sharing, this a great way to teach them how colors blend, I love it!

Sarah - Kala said...

Way cool!

A.D. McClish said...

What a cool project! I do art projects with my son and my nephew for home school every week and I know they'll love this. Great post!

Mandy said...

Wow! That is cool!

Lyndsie Miles said...

Oh, thank you! My little guy just fell asleep and I try to do something like this with Josh and Kenna while he's sleeping! What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rosemary! I guess you saw that I fixed it so people can email your posts to someone else now, eh?

Andrea said...

How neat!

CompleteLee Blogger said...

Simple AND cool. A true homeschooling Mom's delight! Thanks for the post. I'll be trying this one.