Sunday, September 07, 2008

Family Moment Monday--Don't be afraid you'll break the china!!

Whoops!  I forgot to say that Family Moment Monday is hosted by Motherhood for Dummies.  Please visit her blog for other great family ideas!

The other night my youngest daughters (middle school) and I wanted to have a cozy evening.  I suggested, "Let's make some tea and watch the convention in my bed."  While they weren't as enthusiastic about watching the Republican convention as I was, they were mildly interested.  My 13 year old said, "Let's use Grandma's teacups!"

Now most of you know that I have been steadily emptying my father's house.  My mother had a teacup collection and I now have about a dozen of her lovely teacups.  The girls just love them.

I thought about wobbly teacups on fragile saucers moving with each shift of the bed.  I thought they might break.  I thought that mugs seemed much more practical and safe.

But I could almost hear my mother saying, "I don't care if the teacups break!"

I said, "Yeah, Let's do it!"  We each picked out our favorite tea and our favorite teacup and headed upstairs.


There is no use in having things just for the sake of having them.  Well, that may be true of very  fragile collectibles  My mother's teacups might even be in that category.  But how much more meaningful is it for my girls to actually hold them, use them, and enjoy them, all the while enjoying memories of Grandma.

I have no doubt that my mom was smiling as we sipped that tea in bed from the teacups she had chosen and cherished.  We had a lovely time.

7 comments:

Mandy said...

That is great Rosemary! I have the same philosophy; use them, don't store them! It makes for better memories!

Suzanne said...

Me too! Use them! That was sweet.
Thanks for sharing.

Sarah - Kala said...

Sweet! Definitely use them!!

Lyndsie Miles said...

That really is so true. What's the use of having anything nice if it isn't used!
What a great post! Thank you!

Andrea said...

I completely agree with this. You can't take them with you in the end, so why not use them and get some joy from them!

Melissa said...

what a cute sweet idea. I love it. My husband and I do that sometimes. We will makea nice pot of tea and curl up and watch a movie.

Mimi said...

I have tears, that's so sweet! Sigh.