Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Lucille Ball


On my recent trip to Chautauqua we stayed in nearby Jamestown, New York,  the home of Lucille Ball.  Please tell me there are no young readers out there who have never heard of Lucille Ball and the famed television show "I Love Lucy."  Actually, feel free to say so if that's the case.  I always find that fascinating.


Pictured below is her birthplace.



And this is the walkway to her tombstone.  She is buried with her parents and her extended family.  Note the little pink heart.  Isn't that sweet?



And this is her tombstone.  I think this is her birthday month so it may be decorated a little more than usual.  Remember her in pearls?



I thought it a rather unassuming grave site, just surrounded by the rest of her family.   Sweet, really. She was quite a star as many of us remember.

May she rest in peace.

12 comments:

Mimi said...

What a sweet gravesite! Thank you for sharing it.

May her Memory be Eternal.

Jean Heimann said...

Lucille Ball continues to be one of my favorite comediennes of all times. I remember "I Love Lucy" very well and recall that it was such a treat to watch her on my days off from school.

I also enjoyed watching "My Little Margie" featuring Gale Storm and Anne Sutherland who played a secretary on "The Anne Sutherland Show.

I wonder how many of your readers remember those two old TV shows and their stars?

Sarah - Kala said...

I'm soon closing in on 39 and I loved Lucy, too!!

EC Gefroh said...

How nice that you got to visit LB's home and grave. I love that show I Love Lucy. It will always be my favorite.

Rosemary said...

Amen. Mimi.
Jean, I don't remember "My Little Margie" or the Anne Sutherland Show." Yes, Lucy was wonderful.
JOT, So people even 14 years older than I am still remember her.

Rosemary said...

Esther, me too.

Anonymous said...

I just shared this with my 16 year old daughter and she loved it. She first got to see "I love Lucy" this past Sunday while "granny-sitting" my 84 year old grandmother. Granny has memory problems and sometimes finds it difficult to follow TV, but she LOVED I love Lucy and my daughter really enjoyed it too.

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Very interesting post..thankyou..

Suzanne said...

Oh, I remember. I think this is sweet and rather "modest" considering her being so famous and all that.

Munchkins and Music said...

Wow, I love her! She was sooo funny!

Anonymous said...

Cool! Rosemary - WE also went through Jamestown not too long ago and saw all the Lucille Ball pictures on the sides of the city buildings and all the mementos of her that were all around! We didn't go see her house or her grave though - we were just breezing through on our way to Harrisburg, I think, to a homeschooling conference last April!

catholicandgop said...

My sister and I love watching I Love Lucy on TVLand.