Monday, August 25, 2008

Family moment Monday--Spontaneity

Mary and I with our new haircuts..

Motherhood for Dummies sponsors Family Moment Monday.  Family Moment Monday "consists of people who are sharing crafts, activities, lessons, ideas, service projects or anything else that you can learn/do/enjoy as a family."  Please see M for D's site for more great family ideas.

My sweet daughter Mary agreed to go shopping with me for a dress to wear to a wedding this weekend.  She was really very helpful .  I asked her not to try to get me to buy something that SHE might like, but rather something that I would like.  I said, "You know, Mary.  I have to get something that someone my age would wear."  She said, "OK."  And she really did try to help me do that.

As we walked by the beauty salon in the mall Mary mentioned that she would like to get her hair cut sometime by Tommy (who goes to our church and who has cut her sister's hair.)

I said, "Shall we see if he's here now?"  She answered, "YEAH!!"

So we went in and he was there and was free!!

Mary was so thrilled.  She got a nice haircut and since he had time I decided to get mine cut too.

I have found that my children really love this kind of spontaneous surprise.  I guess it's because children are so naturally spontaneous themselves.  As an adult it's a little hard for me to do this.  I like to have my day kind of planned. (kind of).  And I'm disinclined to make an abrupt change for no urgent reason.

But my children love it when I do.  This shopping/haircut expedition was a good example.  I don't do it often but here are a few other examples:

"Let's go out for ice cream!!!"  (Now this one is not so infrequent:-)

Once about 10:00 p.m.   I asked, "Who wants go to the movies?"  (This was for Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings or something they really wanted to see.  If I recall I slept through most of it.)  They were so excited.

And once when only one child was home I suggested we go to our local water park right then.

I don't do this often I must say, lest you think I'm some kind of supermom.  But when I do it always seems to reap big rewards in my relationships with my children.  May this post remind me to lighten up and do it a little more often!

10 comments:

Sarah - Kala said...

Looking beautiful!! I really like this cut on you!!

Suzanne said...

Such pretty mom and daughter! :)
That was fun! Yes, I believe our young people like this, esp. "Let's go to the DQ!" Ha! Who doesn't like that one?? I must take their temperature if they don't! Anyway,
I sat and watched one of those silly pirate movies with you know who on Saturday night...Teresa didn't want to rent a movie..she already had this one. Shane's always excited if I say "Let's go to the teen clothing consignment shop!" (He is a clothes horse lately..wish he'd get out of a little of that, though. I do think it will pass before too long.)
I love it when I say.."Let's play cards or a board game." SOMETIMES they jump at it, but if they'd rather be somewhere else and didn't get to go, some of them seem to take it out on me and sorta issue out a punishment of sorts by saying.."No, I really don't want to play a game, Mom." Then I am very sad...:( Any rememdies for that?

Mandy said...

I have to agree spontanaity (sp?) works so much better than the times I plan things! I love days like that with my children!

Your hair looks great!

Lyndsie Miles said...

You two look so beautiful! And the haircuts look great as well!
This is something I use to love when I was younger... I haven't really thought about it until now, but I'm not very spontaneous now that I'm a mommy... that is a great thing to do!

Rosemary said...

JOT, thank you. Unfortunately, it hasn't looked this good since I got home. I have little waves here and there and I can't quite get it to look just like he did. Course, I'm not willing to spend more than a few minutes trying either:-)

Suzanne, you make me laugh. Yeah, the DQ example was kind a a no-brainer. LOL I know what you mean about the turning down of a game idea and that hurt feeling. I think it might just be one of those maternal sorrow times. Definitely been there.

Mandy, thank you!

Lyndsie, thank you!

Melissa said...

a nice reminder. IT is easy as an adult to try and plan everything, our days are so crazy we need it. But that is half the fun of the surprises is being spontanius. My husband and I have talked about wanting to remember that.

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Great haircut & post!

Mimi said...

Gorgeous, both of you!

Andrea said...

He he, I am actually the opposite and LOVE being spontaneous (much to the chagrin of my schedule loving husband). I guess as my little one gets older I'll have to start keeping a schedule.

antonia said...

hey, you look great! I havent seen a photo of you in a while and you have noticeably lost weight!