Monday, August 18, 2008

Family Moment Monday--Sometimes a mother needs to keep her mouth shut!!

Motherhood for Dummies sponsors Family Moment Monday.  "Family Moment Monday consists of people who are sharing crafts, activities, lessons, ideas, service projects or anything else that you can learn/do/enjoy as a family.

Jim has his driver's license, finally!!!

He's almost seventeen and he started driver's ed. a little late because he couldn't fit it in his schedule with football, etc.

But on Friday he took his road test and now he has the coveted driver's license!!!

On Thursday he and I went out to practice parallel parking.  He's been driving with me for the last year in the Lincoln Town Car which is not the easiest car to park.  But Jim assured me that on the test they measure the length of the car and then add six feet.  After many attempts he seemed able to get the car into a space about that size.

So we went to the test.  The tester had me come along and sit in the back seat during the road test.  I tried to not pay attention.  But when he had Jim change lanes I notice Jim check his blind spot and THEN the instructor looked up at him as if to see if he had checked it.  This happened a couple times!  I SO wanted to say something.  I thought he would be marked down for sure.  But I kept my mouth shut.

For the parallel parking segment the tester measured the car and set the cones at the exact size of the car!!!

I was biting my tongue!!!  I thought I'll just go over and jokingly ask if he wouldn't give Jim a break for driving a car that big.  Then I could mention the extra six feet thing.

Then I came to my senses.  Jim is almost 17.  He doesn't need his mom to rescue him.  This is HIS road test.  He can handle it.  Even if the tester is being unfair, Jim can handle it.  I don't need to say a thing.  And speaking up sends the wrong message.  Jim needs to know that I know that he is capable of managing his own life (almost:-).

I thought Jim would say something, but he did not.  I told myself again, Keep your mouth shut!  And I'm happy to say that I did.

I watched him start to try to parallel park that tank.  And would you believe it?  He got that car into a parking space the exact size of the car!!!!!  I was amazed.

He passed the test.  He was not marked down for failing to check a blind spot.  I had misinterpreted the testers looks.  He nailed the parallel parking.

You know what?  Jim is doing just fine.  He doesn't need me to manage little details of his life.  

Sometimes it's important for a mom to speak up.  And sometimes it's important to NOT say anything.  When a teen feels respected by his parents, when he starts to feel that there's really a lot that he can manage on his own, when he starts to gain confidence in his own abilities, he takes the first beginning steps toward responsible adulthood.  As a parent I need to give him that opportunity.    And sometimes that means, keeping my mouth shut!  (Always a bit of a challenge for me.)

12 comments:

Melissa said...

That is always hard to bit the tongue. Good for you for realizing your boy is old enough now. I think that is the hardest thing as a mom, to realize that sometime they need you to stand and watch from the sidelines once and awhile. Great lesson for F.M.M.

Kellan said...

I need to take some "keeping my mouth shut" lessons from you! You sound like a great mom - REALLY! And, congrats to Jim - I know how excited he is because I have those twins, you know - that also just got their lisences.

Take care and see you soon - Kellan

Suzanne said...

Blessings for Jim! Now, no cell phones, hamburger eating, and loud "Steubenville" type music in the car! ;) I need to take my own advice, esp. about the Franciscan Univ. music in the car...its sorta all Bob Rice's fault. :) God be with him in his journeys.

Mandy said...

I am not looking forward to these days! I get nervous just thinking about my kids driving! Thankfully I have several more years before I have to worry about it!

Great story!

Sarah - Kala said...

Good for your for recognizing he's doing it himself. I took my exam in WA state and I failed the first test immediately after NOT LOOKING BOTH WAYS at a light when it turned green. You never know when that stray car or two will run a light from either direction. I have never failed to check again and passed the test easily the second time. In WA state (way back when . . . ) parents did not go on the examination drive. I hope I won't be able to either, really, because I doubt I can keep my mouth shut.

A.D. McClish said...

That is really hard to do: learning to let go and let kids do things on their own. I am at a completely different stage of letting go: the toddler stage. My son's favorite thing to say is "No, I do it."

Mimi said...

Parenting involves a lot of keeping one's mouth shut, sometimes I'm better at it than others!

And, congrats to Jim.

Andrea said...

God bless you for having the patience to keep your mouth shut! I pray that I'll learn to be that way when my little one is older!

Munchkins and Music said...

Good luck with a teenage driver!! :):)

Lyndsie Miles said...

Oh, man... I'm going to have to work on keeping my mouth shut.
Way to go, Jim on passing your road test!

Justabeachkat said...

Hi Rosemary

Thanks for visiting my blog tonight and leaving a sweet comment. I hope you'll come again...you're always welcome.

I've sure enjoyed my visit here. You have a great blog. I've had fun tonight getting to know you a bit by your writing. Your post about the ghost made me giggle. I would have been nervous too. Great post.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jim!