Monday, July 21, 2008

Family Moment Monday

Motherhood for Dummies hosts Family Moment Monday.  Today she writes about family genealogy and what a gift it is for families to know their ancestry, family stories, etc.

I also think family history is important, which is why whenever we go to Florida to visit my m-i-l, we try to also get across the state to visit my relatives.  The drive is about four hours and we just meet them for dinner usually.  Why do we drive all that distance for a few hours?  Because they are FAMILY and we rarely get to see them since we live on opposite sides of the country.  My children never object, never ask why.  I believe they want to see them too because family is important.  Our blood ties and family historical ties are all about who we are.  These are the people we love unconditionally (to the extent we are able).  These are the people who do the same for us.

This is me with my Uncle Bill.  He is my mother's brother and the only one left of his birth family.  He is also my godfather.  He calls me by a sweet nickname which I won't share.  His face lights up when he sees me and I know he has loved me since the day I was born.  He is of 100% Irish ancestry, a part of my family history which my children know I treasure.  He is a lot of fun, as I imagine you can tell from his picture.

My Uncle Bill and Aunt Marlyce had four sons.  So I was able to see four of my five first cousins!!  They are pictured above.  It was so nice reminiscing about our childhood, the times we visited in New Jersey, the funny stories.  And the awful ones like the time the back door of my dad's car flew open on the freeway and we were all terrified that Larry might have fallen out.  (He was fine.) There were no seat belts then and we had a lot of kids in the back seat.  I was able to turn to my kids and say, "See, that's why I get scared if someone opens a window without telling me when we're on the freeway.  That sound of rushing wind makes me think of that day."

There were lots of laughs and quiet smiles and just the general sense of contentment that one feels around family.  Family ties are important.  Recognizing them and taking the time to maintain them says to my children that they are part of a larger group that loves them.  They are part of a group where everyone is accepted, regardless of what mistakes they may have made, or what differences we might have.  We are family.  These ties that bind are made of love and I do believe they help a child understand that they are loved and valued just for who they are.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

sounds like you havea really great family!!!!

Sarah - Kala said...

Wonderful! You all look like a bunch of people I'd love to hang out with!!

Suzanne said...

Your family is just "sumpin else!" :)
I am sorry to have frightened you about the prayers for Alexa like that..I guess it did read that way.
I really wanted to ask for prayer and knew things were so serious right now. I know they all appreciate our prayers...I can't imagine how tough this is right now for them all. I hope that God will help them come to peace with it all soon. Lord, have mercy! Amen

Rosemary said...

Thank you, MforD. JOT, I'm sure we'd like to hang out with you too.
Suzanne, no, it's fine. We need to know when there is an urgent prayer request and I'm really glad to have the opportunity to pray for Kathy and the situation. Truly, Lord have mercy.

Lyndsie Miles said...

Your Uncle Bill is so cute! He does look fun! And from what I could tell all his sons look like him as well.
Family is such a blessing!