Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Weight Loss Wednesday....or maybe I should say 'waiting for loss.'

I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers....I made my goal several years ago but the weight has crept back on. Well, some of it....It is not coming off very easily this time.

I went back to Weight Watchers this past Fall and went to meetings for several months. I only lost a couple of pounds. I was telling this to a friend of mine recently. She said, "Did you talk to anybody about why it wasn't working?" I said, "No, Suzanne, I knew why it wasn't working. I was eating TOO MUCH FOOD!" She burst out laughing. "You mean you weren't following the program?"

Well, I followed the program for a few weeks. That's when I lost the couple pounds. I went in after losing one week and said, "Who knew? That if you follow the program you would lose weight!?"

Suzanne said you mean you thought if you just went to meetings that would cause you to lose weight? Well, I was hoping. Seemed like it was worth a try. (It actually worked last time.) Once I realized I really did have to follow the program I stopped going to meetings.

The truth of the matter is that I don't want to lose weight as much as I want to eat.

Part of me wants to lose weight. Another part of me wants to eat whatever I want, whenever I want. The part that wants to eat is REALLY strong willed. I'd say it even bullies the part that wants to lose weight. I'm going to try, one step at a time, to subdue the part of me that wants to taste, and to strengthen that rational part of me that really wants to be at the right weight. That part that wants to lose really needs to stop being such a wimp.

2 comments:

Sarah - Kala said...

I joined a few weeks ago, making it to the first two meetings, skipping the next two. If I don't go this Saturday, I'll have to pay the membership fee to join again. I'm with you. I want to lose weight, but . . . .

I have learned something though and it's working for me (a little pound here and a little pound there): balance the meals you eat, keep snacking to core foods. And, of course, exercise. I have trouble with the exercise part, but I have gain control of the eating part. I eat slower now and stop when I'm satisfied. It's not easy all of the time!

Rosemary said...

Journey of Truth, good advice. I eat pretty balanced meals. Usually my snacks are healthy (but not always core) I don't enjoy exercise. It's so easy to rationalize that there is something more important to do. And... my son has friends over tonight and they're eating Doritos. I think I just ate about 10 of them. Then I say Why did I do that. They're not THAT good.