Monday, June 16, 2008

Family Moment Monday-- Kayaking

Motherhood for Dummies hosts Family Moment Monday. Check out her fun post on how to make puppets with your kids. My kids used to love to put on shows like this and M for D has lots of very do-able suggestions for making it happen.

My husband chose for his fathers day family activity-- kayaking on the Huron River. This is a favorite of our family's. We rented three two-person kayaks for the six of us who were able to go. There were thunderstorms predicted so we waited until it looked like we were all clear. It was a beautiful day, very peaceful on the river.






You just can't stay stressed very long while floating over the water. The Dad was pretty pleased. He loves being on the water.



Well....there was one stressful moment for me and my oldest daughter Anne (age 22). I wasn't doing the best job steering and we ended up near the shore under some low hanging branches. Somehow, Anne caught her paddle vertically in the branches. It was really wedged in there tight. We tried to push away but nearly lost the paddle. It was really stuck. We tried to move the branches, but of course that moved the kayak and we nearly capsized. There was water in the bottom and I was scrambling to get the camera and her cell phone in the ziplok bag before they were ruined. We finally got loose and all was well. We just got a little wet. Cell phone and camera survived.

The Kayaks were $22.00 to rent. So the outing cost $66.00. We could spend about that much taking the kids to the movie theatre and getting popcorn. Instead, we enjoyed the outdoors, got some exercise and, most importantly, just had a fun time being together as a family.
I think my arms are going to be sore tomorrow.


If you live in our area you might want to check this idea out.

9 comments:

Suzanne said...

Our family needs to do more things like this together. We have a park that has trails and it is fun to go back in there because they have some spots with these huge grapevine type things and the kids used to love swinging on them. One time my nephew, Bobby, was visiting from Spokane. He had his video and asked us to film him...now, knowing the "show-off" and funny guy he could be, we knew this would be good. The camera was turned on.
Bobby called in a low deep voice..."THIS IS TAZAN (not Tarzan)
and I have come to show you the many ways one can swing on a vine."
So, then off he goes and we're all cracking up when no sooner did he take off, this big ol vine cracks and breaks and down goes TAZAN the Great! ROFL! You just had to be there...so funny...it could not have went more perfect if he tried.
Anyways.....how did I get off on that? I guess what I'm trying to say is..."Shut the tv off...yes, go ahead and cook out if you must, but get out of the house, go down the road and find a family adventure with memories for a lifetime!
Good for you all!

Rosemary said...

Suzanne, why not post this very funny story and link to M for D's Family Moment Monday? I love it. And you're right. The point is go out and have some fun with your family!

Melissa said...

oh how fun! I love doing that kind of stuff. We might nto be able to do that with Lucy, but Curtis and I could sure so this for date night :)

Suzanne said...

LOL! I don't know how to do that or I would! Just the same...glad you got as much a kick out of it as I did! :)

Rosemary said...

Suzanne, all you have to do is type your name in the box she has that says "name." And type your URL (your web address) in the next box that says URL. then click the enter button that's right there. You do this after you've written your post and titled it Family Moment Monday and, in the post, linked to or acknowledged Motherhood for Dummies and listed her address. Then leave her a comment on her post for Monday, telling her you did it.

Are You Serious! said...

♡ That looks like so much fun! Great pictures!

Kitchen Madonna said...

We need to do this as a family too!

Suzanne said...

Rosemary..
Maybe I'll have to have Shane look your instructions over...I am not too smart in this area. Once I get it, I get it, but usually I learn very "visually." It is sad, but true...reading directions gets me crazy, but I'll see what I can do. Thanks! ;)

Anonymous said...

Looks like you all had a wonderful time.