Thursday, May 01, 2008

If a teenager is told that a pile of books may not be kept on a chair in the living room, is it reasonable for that teenager to then conclude that the floor next to the chair is an acceptable place to leave the books?  And would an intelligent teenager be so sure of this conclusion that he might just take the books from the chair and put them on the floor?  Yup.  And when the inappropriateness of this second location for the books was pointed out to this teenager, should I be surprised to not see even a hint of sheepishness in his response?  Just a calm reaction to what to him was just another new piece of information about where to keep books ?  I guess not.  Teenagers are really just not all there yet.  Lot of information in those heads but a whole lot still missing too.  Guess that's why we shouldn't be too hard on them.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

ha ha ah sounds like my husband :)

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

That's a good reminder, since I have one teen and one almost-teen (12-year-old girls count as teens, I'd say!) But yes, sometimes it seems that the kids just aren't quite all there.

Mimi said...

Tee hee. So true.

FloridaWife said...

Teenagers? Hah! I've got a 37 year old guy over here with paper everywhere. BUT I love the man.

Rosemary said...

Well, I have to admit I'm guilty myself of leaving things around, but at least I KNOW where they should be....guess there's still a bit of teenager in me too.