Friday, May 23, 2008

How many parties must there be?

Warning:   Bad attitude on this post.....

This is the season when every class, nearly every event, every club, and every group of individuals together for any reason seem to need a year end party.   And who is asked (told) to bring the refreshments?  Why mom of course.  Child makes the commitment and Mom fulfills it, right? 

My daughter came home to tell me she "had to bring cupcakes and rice krispy treats" to the year end band party.  I said NO.  We are NOT bringing BOTH cupcakes AND rice krispy treats!  Why did you sign up for two things?  Because no one else was signing up.  Oh well.  ONLY ONE!!!  Cross your name off the other one.  I drew the line. 

Shortly after, her older brother who should know better came into the kitchen.  Mind you, my husband was working late.  We needed to leave for the school Spring concert in about an hour.  And he says, "Mom, I need two pounds of taco meat for my Spanish class."  I looked at him, fearing the worst and said softly, ".....when?"  He looked at me sheepishly, mouth turned downward and jaw tense, anticipating my response.  "Tomorrow?"

I said, "YOU SHOULD BE ON YOUR KNEES BEGGING FOR MERCY!!"  In my defense, I did smile, mainly because the request was so ridiculous.  His sister of the rice krispy treats/cupcakes commitment leaned over and quietly advised...."You better get on your knees."

Fortunately for what would otherwise have been a taco-less Spanish class party, another son offered to drive his brother to the store to buy ground beef.  He then came home and made HIS OWN two pounds of taco meat AND cleaned the pan afterward.  That was the only way it was going to happen.  Only so many hours in the day.  I was glad it worked out for him because there was no way I could have made tacos on that particular night.

Oh the joy of year-end celebrations!  Give me summer vacation!!!!  I'm ready!

9 comments:

Kellan said...

This is why I wrote my post yesterday about wanting summer to get here and FAST - I am so tired of all the STUFF!

Good luck to you!

Take care and have a good weekend - Kellan

Sarah - Kala said...

This is why I'm glad to have had all three kids home schooling this year (avoiding all that and all the fundraisers . . . ). We still have to contend with all the Scout stuff and I have my Catholic Women's group . . . but that stuff is fun for me.

Anyway, you handled it just the way I would have.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

That season is getting started here too. Good going on sticking to your guns. And good for your son on making his own tacos.

Anonymous said...

the same thing has happened with my children, they always seem to think there is a never ending supply of foodstuffs in the kitchen cupboards...one day my son told me he needed pigs heart for his biology lesson...he asked it as if i have offal in my refridgerator as a a mattr of course!

Good for you on being firm about making one of the contributions of party food rather than two....and good on your other son for stepping in to go and fetch the meat your 'spanish lesson' son needed!

Rosemary said...

Kellan, yes, I enjoyed that post of yours. Come on, summertime!
Journey, yes, I loved that about home-schooling.
Thanks, Barb.
Deb, pig hearts? That's too funny.

Kellan said...

Hi Rosemary - Thanks for coming by today - I hope you are having a good Memorial weekend - see you - Kellan

Anonymous said...

my friend's church is refurbishing their sanctuary - including padding the seats. The young (male) pastor and his associate (also male) thought it would be lovely if the chairs (rose pink) would be ready for mothers' day (which was about ten days from then) --- his mum rightly said it woudl be more of a gift if they had a more reasonable schedule ... I think they agreed on Father's day (which in Finland is in November)

:)

oh and the same pastor (a dear friend of mine) wanted to have a barbeque for the youngsters (youth group) with "you know salads and cakes and things " ... his mum's response "and how A... are you going to get that on the table?"

I was in stitches when she was telling me.

Anonymous said...

sorry got my url wrong -duh!

Rosemary said...

Lorna, LOL. They just don't get it.