Monday, May 26, 2008

Family Moment Monday



Family Moment Monday-- Motherhood for Dummies has hosted a "Family Moment Monday."

I borrowed this idea from my friend Ann K.

Whenever she has a party celebrating a family event, or even if she's not celebrating anything, she has taped to her kitchen cabinets recent photos of family members, family happenings, adult children living elsewhere, etc.

The photos don't stay there all the time. They change, depending on the family happenings.

My cabinets pictured above have photos of my daughter's Confirmation which we celebrated yesterday. The photos will stay up for at least a couple weeks. They are just printed from our camera on regular copy paper so no need to worry about water stains or anything. At the party it was fun for people to see photos from the event, especially for the people who are in those photos.
For my daughter and my other children the presence of these photos underlines the importance of the event. It says this is who we are honoring and this is what we are celebrating. This is a family happening. We are all here. It brings smiles to the faces of each person as they look up. My daughter is reminded by the photo of the brother who drove for 6 hours round trip to be with her on her special day. She (and all of us) are reminded that we are a unit. We are a family. We are together.

It's a little thing. But while it delights guests and provides entertainment, for our family it is a record of what we are about. And all those reminders help cement the family bonds that I am convinced provide the foundation for a child's sense of well-being.

4 comments:

Kellan said...

What a great idea and so easy to print pictures now with digital cameras - I might just start this at my house!!

Have a good Tuesday, Rosemary - see you - Kellan

Anonymous said...

I have a collage of old family pics on my cupboards that my daughter made me for a present once, but i wouldn't have thought of this, what a lovely idea!

Sarah - Kala said...

I've been doing that for eons now. Eventually, I'll upload pics off my new camera on my blog and you'll see a lovely pic of Mary stuck on one cabinet.

I finally took down the one of my husband golfing. I've also removed most of the holy cards I had all over the cabinets.

IT's a good tradition!

Rosemary said...

Thank you, all. Journey, Isn't it fun? Don't people love it when they're pouring coffee in your kitchen and they look up to see a sweet picture?