Monday, March 10, 2008

Silent snowy Retreat at the Abbey of Gethsemane

I had a wonderful retreat this weekend at the Abbey of Gethsemani in Trappist, Kentucky.  My oldest daughter Anne goes with me every year.  The silence is so refreshing.  Getting there though was something of a nightmare.  We had to drive through the entire state of Ohio during their huge snow storm.  The roads were terrible.  But the snowy abbey was so peaceful for the rest of the weekend.



Above was the view from my room.






                                                                                             sweet little angel.... The snow was shifting in the                                                                                     wind like sand.                        




We did manage one hike through the snow....

8 comments:

the mother of this lot said...

What beautiful photos. It really does look like a place of peace.

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

Beautiful pictures!

ukok said...

It sounds like just what I could do with right now! I'm so glad you arrived there safely and that you had a wonderful time :-)

Mimi said...

What beautiful photos! It looks like it was a lovely retreat.

I'm intrigued by the name of the town, wow!

Cathy Adamkiewicz said...

Thank you for sharing these photos. I'm a bit jealous! Beautiful!

Rosemary said...

Thank you all. Mimi, Trappist is the name of the order of monks. Catherine, thanks for visiting my blog.

Mimi said...

That I knew, Rosemary, but that the town named itself after the Monastary is pretty cool!

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful..