Friday, March 14, 2008

I am politically conservative... I think

I know that, based on my comments or lack thereof, that the readers of this blog are not real interested in politics. Or else you just don't feel like commenting on political matters. But... I just have to put in my two cents about Geraldine Ferraro's comments about Barak Obama.

She said “If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position. And if he was a woman of any color, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept.”

Was this a racist comment?!! I'd say!!! My jaw dropped. I disagree with Barak Obama on nearly everything. But I still think he is intelligent (if misguided) articulate, personable, and very likable. He is a formidable presidential candidate and that would be true no matter what color he was. How could Ferraro say that??? In my opinion, it's so obviously not true that it certainly does raise the question of racism. Barak Obama is in the position he is IN SPITE of being black, not because of it. And he is all the more impressive to have achieved what he has because (dare I say it?) there is indeed still racism in this country, although it is no longer respectable to be so openly. Tell that to Ms. Ferrarro.

It disturbs me that I have heard conservatives suggest that she was not really out of line in saying what she did. Makes me wonder if I'm in the right party. But I could never be part of a party that so flagrantly disregards the sanctity of human life as do the democrats.

7 comments:

Salome Ellen said...

I think some of the conservatives (Rush Limbaugh for one) are saying that the fact that Obama is a viable presidential candidate after only two years in the senate, with no previous political background, smacks of tokenism. Ferraro was only a VP candidate because of tokenism, and she thinks she's recognizing the same syndrome. She may be wrong, but it doesn't necessarily make her racist. (Wow, I posted a political comment -- that's not like me! :-D )

Daniel Newville said...

I have to politely disagree with salome ellen on this. Barak Obama is definitely not a strong candidate due to tokenism. I believe he is a strong candidate due to his intelligence (I agree with Rosemary that he is misguided), charisma, and all the other things mentioned. If tokenism is the only explanation for a black man to be a viable candidate, then what about Jesse Jackson and Alan Keyes? Though I strongly disagree with Obama on nearly everything he stands for, I believe he is a very likable, viable, intelligent candidate who appeals to people for many other reasons besides tokenism. I'm sure there are some voters out there who see him this way but I don't think it is possible for him to do this well based on tokenism alone or else we would have seen this with Jackson and Keyes.

Rosemary said...

Ellen, thanks for commenting. I do agree with Daniel, though. I think Ferraro's comments are, just as you say, Ellen, intended to convey that she thinks his candidacy is the result of tokenism. But such an assertion minimizes his very great skill as a politician. I honestly think Obama would be a very serious contender for the presidency no matter what color he was.
Daniel, as you pointed out today, he's even winning in states where one would think that racism would be a very serious handicap. (I can't believe I'm defending Obama. I'm actually really concerned he might be our next president.....)

Anonymous said...

Ditto!

We get a kick out of the fact that while Obama spent his early years in Hawai'i, he attended the most prestigious, "WASP" school in the islands, Punahou. Kudos to Obama for this achievement. It is an excellent school with many distinguished graduates. But, Obama is hardly the impoverished "token" some people make him out to be. Incidentally, one of his daughters is named "Malia",a Hawaiian form of "Mary".

Christine said...

Personally, I fing Obama to be a very frightening candidate. He epitomizes everything that is WRONG in our country today. He is definitely gifted as a politician, but I don't think that saying someing is gifted as a politician is a compliment. I also think that there is danger in electing him because of his affiliation with Islam through his father and step father, even if he has never truly been Moslem himself.

There...I have made my political comment, Rosemary. I will go back to being quiet now. :-)

Oh, BTW...as to Ferraro...sounds like sour grapes to me, not necessarily racism.

Rosemary said...

Christine, thanks for commenting! I find him frightening too. I think he is intelligent, articulate, a very good communicator. but I think he is very radical and I disagree with him on nearly everything.

Rosemary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.