Tuesday, February 26, 2008

No snow day so I declared my own....

Lo and behold the schools were in session, but my son's high school delayed their start an hour.

So I took the girls in only to find that in spite of there only being a few inches of snow, it was REALLY slippery. The highway was a mess. As I drove down the fairly narrow two lane road I take to the elementary school, I could feel the back of my car repeatedly drift slightly to the right. Then we passed a car that had slid across oncoming traffic and ended up in the ditch on the opposite side of the road. I was actually a little scared.

I realized I had to go back home and as the snow was pelting down and wind blowing it all over, I was still going to have to take my son back out on the roads to his school. I called him when I was at a red light and asked how he would feel about not going to school today. It was fine with him. So I called the school, told them I realized these judgements were hard for them to make but that I had decided it was not safe to be on the roads and I was keeping my son home.

I've had kids in school for twelve years or so and I've never done that before. I think it was the right move.

8 comments:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Safety is always the best way to go.

Last week my sister kept her girls home when the school bus driver told her how bad the roads were. She called her daughters OFF THE BUS and took them back inside. She lives on a mountain--I don't blame her a bit.

Rosemary said...

Good for her, Barb. You're right. Safety must come first.

Rosemary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

IMO you did exactly the right thing. You responded to the situation as any responsible mother should.

God Bless you and your family!

Mimi said...

I agree with the others, you did the right thing. Stay safe.

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing two or three years ago. It was past 6:30, and FGR had not yet canceled school, so I called and said it was simply not safe to be on the roads. They did end up canceling school!

Ted said that if Ann Arbor had been in session instead of on break, chances are they would have closed (as did every other sensible district in the area), and FGR would have been closed. As it was, his good guardian angel watched over him as he drove! He said it was very slippery, and he saw lot of people in ditches. I am thankful he is such a good and confident driver, and that his angel certainly was co-pilot!

Ruthann

Rosemary said...

I agree with Ted on this last day. And good for you on that day 2 or 3 years ago. Maybe you were part of the decision. We have to do what makes sense.

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

I'm glad that you went with your gut and made the right decision for your safety!