Saturday, January 05, 2008

Hillary Clinton

My daughter works in a hospital and often comes home with amusing or interesting things her older patients have said. Yesterday she said one of them said about Hillary Clinton:

"I don't trust that lady. There's somethin' goin' on there."

I burst out laughing. Sometimes the simplest perspective can really sum things up. Don't get me wrong. I would never support Hillary Clinton because of her stand on abortion as well as other things. But I have often wondered what is it about Hillary that really rubs me the wrong way. I think the above quote hits the nail on the head. She doesn't seem genuine. She is not transparent. Sometimes she is even mannequin-like. There seems to be something going on that is not on the surface.

The obvious example of mask-like behavior is when she's around Bill. Now she could be given credit for staying in her marriage. Perhaps, as unlikely as it seems, she believes he has changed and is giving him a second chance. Or perhaps she is staying for Chelsea-- so that their family is intact. Perhaps she stopped caring about Bill a long time ago and this is just the structure of her life. But when he's campaigning with her and they're both up there smiling like the happy couple I do ask myself, 'What is going on here?' Perhaps by the grace of God she has indeed forgiven him and they have worked hard on restoring their marriage.

Could it be something else? Is it just her stiff manner? Is she just a guarded person? Is she so wounded she must hide? Now that seems possible. I'm writing as I'm thinking. But I have to admit that she doesn't seem trustworthy. It could be a false impression, but it sure does seem that "There's somethin' goin' on there."

3 comments:

Michelle said...

She's certainly quite a bit like Jackie Kennedy in her willingness to put up with a man who is a better politician than a husband.

Unlike Jackie K, though, she lacks femininity. Jackie was raised in an era where women were expected to be the stay-at-home nurturing type. Hillary had the misfortune of being raised during an era where these qualities were deemed weak.

This is why women have such a difficult time succeeding in certain careers. We, as a society, want feminine women, but we want politicians who are tenacious, strong, persistant, etc. It is difficult to strike a balance between these aggressive traits and what we consider to be "softer", more lady-like qualities.

Hillary's generation was taught to suppress the softer side. She may have these qualities, but they are not for public viewing...hence she seems inauthentic.

Rosemary said...

Michelle, you said it so well. Exactly. Maybe you should post this comment on your blog. It's very good-- nice comparison to Jackie.

antonia said...

hm, interesting. I haven't seen much of Hilary on tv because they dont really show that much here in England, but I can definitly see what you mean..

xx