Sunday, January 06, 2008

Hillary Clinton-- More Thoughts

Last night I watched the candidates debate in Hew Hampshire. I have to say that Hillary looked better than I have maybe ever seen her. As a woman, she has the advantage of being able to use more extensive make-up I suppose. But it looked very well done, I thought, and she looked thinner too. The men looked haggard in comparison. Again, I'm not going to support Hillary. Everyone who know me knows that. But she was quite articulate and more natural than usual. She was forceful and held her own very well. I started to think with some trepidation that she might actually be electable.

The final question she asked was totally ridiculous and completely out of line, I thought. It was something to the effect of "People are saying you might not be electable because of the likeability factor. They say Obama is more likeable than you. How do you respond to that?" Now I actually have been one of the people saying that. But I said to my husband, "How on Earth is she supposed to answer that? That's a completely unfair and ridiculous question." Is Hillary's answer to a question like that supposed to help the voters of New Hampshire decide who should be the next President? I think it was designed to make her squirm and was totally incompatible with responsible, professional journalism. I actually felt defensive of Hillary. She did a great job answering. (I just realized I'm writing this as though no on else saw it. Sorry. This is the first debate I've watched so I guess I just assumed everyone else rarely watched them either. I'm very interested in the process. My life is just a little too hectic to keep up with it.) Anyway, did anyone else see last night's debates? I watched the Republicans completely but had to turn the Democrats off maybe half way through. I enjoy politics but a few hours is enough. (smile)

6 comments:

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

I didn't watch the debates, but you're right about that question that you wrote out that they asked Hillary. What the heck? Are they running for homecoming queen or president?

Mimi said...

I actually will vote in the Democratic primary (well actually I'll caucus), but I totally agree that that's an odd question.

And, she's not the candidate I'm planning on supporting either.

Rosemary said...

Angie, LOL. That's good. Unfortunately there is a measure of popularity involved in the election process. I just thought it very odd to ask her about it. Unprofessional, really.

Rosemary said...

Mimi, let me guess. Obama?

Mimi said...

It's that obvious, eh? Yes.

Rosemary said...

I'm impressed with Obama too. He's very articulate, intelligent, and a great speaker-- also very likable.