Saturday, September 15, 2007

As I sit here yawning....

I started to write this as a comment after my last post but decided I should just post it.

I should add that I always say the rosary when I can't sleep. Always. I don't even get in bed if there isn't one under my pillow. I go to sleep saying the rosary (unless I'm really tired and go out as soon as I hit the pillow.) And if I wake up I go on with the rosary, unless I can't remember where I was and then I just start again. I try to look at the inability to sleep as an opportunity that God may be very intentionally giving me to pray. Sometimes random people came to mind and I pray for them. Once I found out later that the person who had come to mind was someone who was having a very difficult time and needed prayer. I took that as a confirmation that sometimes I'm awake because God wants me to pray. That really improved my attitude. I reminded myself that others are tortured for their faith. I'm asked to give up a little sleep. Who wouldn't be willing to give up a little sleep for the Lord.

(I should confess that I'm sitting here yawning having been awake for a lot of the last few hours and I'm not in bed saying my rosary. I came down to check an online football practice schedule so I'd know what time I HAD to be up) Course, I had to check my blog while I'm here :-)

6 comments:

Mimi said...

I think that's beautiful.

Sometimes, when I can't sleep, I say the Jesus Prayer.

Jean Heimann said...

I like to pray the rosary, too. However, I have to tell myself to let my guardian angel finish it for me if I start to fall off to sleep, so I don't keep myself awake. LOL!

I say the rosary daily with my dh in the evening and at my weekly Eucharistic Adoration hour.

Rosemary said...

Jean, I always ask my guardian angel to finish it too. :-)

FloridaWife said...

You know...I'm going to keep my rosary close by. This might be a good habit for me to get into.

Maryellen said...

Hi Rosemary. I've been here before but not left a comment. This post inspires me to leave a note.

About sleeplessness. My hubby and I both turn to prayer on a sleepless night in recent years. I wish I had done it all my life, but so it goes. We grow just a little at a time.

I must confess that I have great difficulty praying the Rosary. I can't concentrate on the Mystery while praying the prayers. When I learned about the Divine Mercy Chaplet, it captured my heart. since it's prayed on the Rosary beads, that's what I turn to and pray for whomever comes to mind.

I hadn't thought to keep a Rosary under my pillow though and that would be effective than using my fingers. Duh. Thanks for the post.

Anne said...

When I do have a restless night and find myself awake in the middle of night for 'no reason', I always turn to prayer. I know that more children are abused in the middle of the night, especially crying babies. Parents are at their end and I pray for them to have patience and for that crying babe to be comforted. And when I have one of those nights where I KNOW I need some sleep, I envision Mary at my bedside calmly talking to me and stroking my hair and aiding me back to sleep...it really works!