Thursday, August 16, 2007

Men's and Women's public restrooms

Why are men's and women's public restrooms the same size?

At the end of our day on Mackinac Island I went to the public ladies room before the ferry ride back, only to find it "closed for cleaning." I came back five minutes later to find it still closed. I said out loud, "still closed?" One poor woman sitting outside it on a bench said rather desperately, "You mean it's been closed a long time? I don't know if I can wait much longer."

Always sympathetic to a woman in that situation I said, "If there's no one in the men's room you could go in there and I could guard the door for you." She said, "yeah!" and went to the door of the men's room and hollered, "Is anybody in there?" Some man answered, "Yes."

So we sat and waited for either the custodian to finish in the women's room, or the gentleman to finish in the men's room. Several more women in need arrived and joined the line. Probably another five minutes passed. Finally I said. "Let's find out how much longer it's going to be before they're finished with the ladies room." I went to the door which was locked, knocked real loud and yelled, "Are you going to be much longer?'

Well, the poor gentleman on the other side thought I was talking to him!!!! He yelled back, "No, not much longer!" The whole line of ladies clapped their hands over their mouths and doubled over in the "loudest" silent laughter I've ever "heard." When he came out about half a minute later we all pretended not to notice. But when another man immediately went in before we could stop him one of the ladies said under her breath, "It better not be number two," which sent us all in to more silent laughter.

When he came out we all stormed the men's room leaving my son Jim, good sport that he is, to stop any more men from coming in.

There must have been 5 or 6 stalls in there!! --- For two guys to use while we all sat there in pain. They were all older restrooms. I understand designers are doing a better job now of recognizing that there is a need for a larger number of facilities for women than for men. I wonder if it's because there are finally enough female architects out there who understand. The men just don't get it!!! Here's the difference. It takes us longer to go!!!! OK? Is that so hard to understand?

Anyway, it made for a humorous story of camaradarie among women who didn't even know each other. The good news? We all made it, and had a comfortable ride back on the ferry. They were good sports. LOL

10 comments:

EC Gefroh said...

I think I saw this episode on Designing Women once...just kidding. Very funny :-)

Jean Heimann said...

LOL! You made my day with that story! Have you ever thought of doing some comedy writing?

Anonymous said...

Hurray for Jim!!

Love,
Mary

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Too true. And very funny! I've had to do the same myself on occasion.

Anonymous said...

Rose, I know you have a degree in Japanese studies, but don't know whether you ever lived or visited there. I worked there for a while and they have coed restrooms with urinals in the open! The first time I went into a public restroom there I was so shocked that I didn't have to "go" any longer! At least the coed option "eliminates" the descrimination! LOL! (I'd rather wait in line for a ladies room than have coed restrooms any time!)

Anonymous said...

You gave me such a chuckle today, Rosemary!

Speaking of toilets. Today at the presbyery the builders are in the room (about 8 builders) I need to get through in order to get to the one toilet ....well, there was no way I was going to go trotting through their scaffolding and buckets of plaster when they would know exactly where I was going - and would probably hear me too!

I waited for hours until the church was open for Mass at 1pm and then went to the toilet that is in the church building - ahhh what a relief - and no embarrassment with the builders!

I get it, totally!

Mimi said...

Bwahahahahahahahaha! I love it!

Rosemary said...

I'm smiling at all your comments.

catholicandgop said...

Its so true. There is always a huge line for the women's restroom at public places and none for mens. Its so annoying hehe.

antonia said...

hehe! very true!