Sunday, August 19, 2007

First Child Launched

My oldest child has started his first real job and has moved into his first apartment. My first child has launched! He came home on Saturday to pick up more of his stuff and then had to leave again today because he has to work tomorrow.

Now it will always be this way. No long summer vacations, no month off at Christmas. He's in the adult world now and pulling his own weight, finding his own way. It's a strange kind of feeling for mom.

I am proud of him. I'm thrilled to have one child who is now a college graduate. But he is no longer a dependent. He's on his own. He's doing well. But we will all be missing him a lot. Fortunately, he's only a few hours away so we will still be able to see him often.

5 comments:

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Wow!!! Good luck to him! :)

Anonymous said...

All the very best to him! I'm sure that you've given him a good grounding and basis with which to begin his life independant of you :-)

God Bless him as he begins this next chapter of his life!

Mimi said...

Whohooooooo! Way to go, oldest!

Colleen said...

Such is the lot of mothers. If we do our job right, they grow up, move out, and become thoroughy independent of us!

I can understand your mixed feelings. Congratulations on launching your first! And best wishes to the newly launched!

FloridaWife said...

Hey, I know you are going to miss him a lot.

Something I will never forget is one day when I was at the University of Florida. I was about 18 or 19, and my parents had just driven the two hours to see me for the day. As my parents were driving away, I caught my mother crying. I have to mention that my mother never cried in front of me. So, catching her cry as the car pulled away, with me on my bike with my backpack, really, really touched me. It really showed me how great a mother's love can be.

It's been almost 20 years since that day, and I've never forgotten it.

Your post reminded me of that time.

Know that you raised your son well. You've launched him into the world. He will remember all the little things that you did for him. Maybe he won't tell you, or maybe he will. I've never told my mother about the fact that I caught her crying that day, and how that moment really affected me. Maybe I should.

So, even though it is hard, congratulations on raising a son.

Children are given to us for a short time. As Catholics, we believe God entrusts them to us. He entrusted this little soul to you, to mold, to love, to grow.

God bless.