Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Things are not always as they appear.


I love gardening but I am not particularly good at it. I plant perennials and then the next year I can't remember what the foliage looked like and I often end up pulling them out, thinking they're weeds. I've done this so many times that now if there's any doubt in my mind I leave them in until I can tell for sure.
Well, in this case, it took a long time. I left them because the same plants were not trying to grow all over the garden, although there were three distinct areas with the same plant in it. Just before John's party I decided they were weeds, but they took up so much space in the garden I didn't want to pull them out and leave a big hole.
Well.... lucky for me I didn't get to it right after John's party either because look what they were! Black-eyed susans-- lots of them!!! (That is what they're called, right?) I came so close to ripping them all out.
God is good. They look so sweet and I can see them right from my kitchen window.

6 comments:

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

I just love black-eyed Susans!

EC Gefroh said...

Oh no Rosemary! It pained me to read this post. I'm so glad you didn't pull out the "weeds" :-)

Rosemary said...

Angie, I love them too.
Esther, I know! I gasped when I realized what I had almost done.

christine M said...

Those are such showy flowers. I do the same thing though with perennials - I know there were more of them originally - some of them must have gotten weeded out. - not the black-eyed Susan's though. (I remember where they are and they get spared)

Mairin :o) said...

Rosemary,
I do that, too. Pull 'weeds' that are really flowers. It is so frustrating! Your 'weeds' are beautiful.

Rosemary said...

Thanks you, :-)