Monday, July 23, 2007

My old glasses....

This is my daughter Elizabeth who will be in sixth grade this Fall and these are the actual glasses that I wore at her age. I really did wear these things. LOL They were my first glasses. I was only slightly near-sighted but boy what a difference it made to look through these glasses. I remember so enjoying looking at the trees in the distance and being able to see so much detail in the leaves. My prescription is not much different now, and I still always wear them when I'm outside so I can see the glory of God's creation in as much detail as possible.

I was at my parents' house today, organizing some things, throwing other things out, etc. We're just starting to scratch the surface of the enormous job of clearing out the house. I opened my old dresser drawer to see these lovely glasses sitting right there in the front. "My glasses!" I said out loud and started laughing. It was nice comic relief from the bittersweet flow of memories mixed with sorrow. All by myself, I had a lot of tears, a few laughs, and many moments of sweet, silent smiling....

But, hey, how about these glasses....

12 comments:

Suzanne said...

Hey..you think those are funny..mine were just like them only just plain black plastic! LOL! I've seen some glasses these days that aren't much better in my book, so...anyway, it is so funny to me how everyone...virtually everyone you talk with who needed glasses to see how the outside world really looked, always bring up the leaves on trees!
I too was absolutely amazed. I am very bad off without vision wear and it was and still remains a well appreciated miracle to see such things. Thank you, Lord.
Also, God bless you through what you are doing. Let your heart wonder and listen. Suzanne

Mimi said...

So adorable!

One of the worst moments of my parenting life was when my son put on his new glasses in the store, looked up, and said "There are words on the signs". I had no idea he was that nearsighted.

Kate said...

I remember thinking as we left the optomitrists with my first pair of glasses, "wow, I can see the leaves on the trees! It's like a really good painting!" It was a revelation to me. I love being able to see, but its hard having glasses and an active toddler!

antonia said...

hehe!

:-)

Rosemary said...

Mimi, that's so funny. I'm LOL. How could you know? It's not like he told you the words looked blurry. LOL
The leaves, I know, Suzanne and Kate, maybe we all look at trees more than we're aware. So beautiful. Kate, yes, like a great painting...God's painting. (smile)
Does your toddler bump his head into your glasses?

Kate said...

Well, Gui's a pretty physical kid, so there's a lot of bumping heads, launching himself onto my back and grabbing my head to stay on, trying to drag me on to the couch to wrestle...

It's not so bad as it used to be though. He used to be a really grabby kid and he would grab at my glasses. We've finally convinced him that touching the glasses has immediate consequences, so now when he wants to wrassle he asks me "glasses off, pease, mama?" Me removing my glasses is the signal to jump all over me. :-)

It's a good thing he's my first, because after a few more kids I won't be in any shape to horseplay!

Rosemary said...

Kate,
I remember that pain on the bridge of the nose when a toddler head hits the hinge area of the glasses. Ouch. Not so good for the glasses either. They do outgrow that stuff.. (smile)

EC Gefroh said...

Rosemary, your daughter looks adorable in those glasses. I remember having to wear the cat-eye glasses in the second grade.

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

These are absolutely dear!

Anonymous said...

Rose, hold on to those frames! There are places selling "vintage" eyewear on the Web for a bundle!

I wish I had all of my old eyeglasses. I conveniently "lost" my first pair in fifth grade because I hated them. They were white cat-eyes. The replacement pair (black rectangles) was cool, so I was happy!

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Now, those things are H O T hot! Why did you ever cast away that style? It's timeless! I think everyone should wear those cats eye things! Heehee, why is it they really make everyone look at least ten years older than they are?

Rosemary said...

I guess that style was pretty popular. Seems a lot of people wore them at one time. I will hold on to them, Ruthann. (smile)
Laura, LOL they are hot.