Saturday, June 23, 2007

What a beautiful day today was!

Cool, sunshine-- just lovely. (My camera needs new batteries so I have no pictures :(

Swim meet this morning. Sat next to a warm and friendly mom from the country club we were swimming against. There was nothing in her manner to suggest any disdain for the little neighborhood pool we frequent. Nice.

Took care of some financial stuff with my father's estate. I don't understand finance. I am signing things that are rather confusing. I completely trust the professionals we are working with, but it's kind of unnerving. I like to feel in control and that is not at all the case here. (An opportunity to develop humility and greater surrender to God.) Don't worry. I'm not being stupid, though. I'm just learning about these things a little more slowly than the need to act on them.

The "O-family" came over for dinner along with three Notre Dame friends of my son. What fun that was. We had a simple spur-of-the-moment dinner with little planning-- the kind you have with sweet friends there is no need to impress. It was a peaceful, enjoyable time. We turned our amish table sideways so there was more room to expand, and added three or four leaves to seat 15 people. I love that table and the feeling of unity it brings when we can all sit together.

Lovely day. Another gift from our God who is so good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that sorting out the estate of our deceased loved ones is necessary of course, but it can also be horrible. One family I knew, fought like children over their parents finances and property, after their folks ahd died. It made me really sad.

When my daughters father died, because we were not married ( the wedding would have taken place 3 weeks after his death) Steve's next of kin was our 8 month old daughter.

Sadly, Steve's family took all of his belongings...leaving us with nothing...we had a court battle to get back a battered old car and a handful of steves belongings (to this date they still have all my love letters to him) paid for the expensive funeral and headstone with all the family's names on it (no mention of me) and then they sent the bill to my solicitors so my 8 month old had to pay for everything out of her already small inheritance. The little money that was left over might buy my daughter a second hand car when she is 18, but that's about it.

I think that it's a good thing to have executors who can deal with things on your behalf and in whom you can trust implicitly. It really isn't the kind of thing most of us want to trouble ourselves with at a time in our lives when we are still mourning the loss of our loved ones.

Your in my prayers, my dear (((hug)))

Rosemary said...

Deb, I'm so sorry for your experience. What a tragedy to have lost your fiance and your baby's father and then to be treated so unfairly.

My brother, my sister and I are all co-executors so we do have final responsibility for everything. But we get along well and we're relying on an attorney, an accountant, and a financial planner to sort things out. None of us have the necessary experience and expertise. It's finally starting to come together. Thanks so much for your prayers.