Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Last Sunday's homily

Deacon Steve at our parish gave a wonderful homily last Sunday. He is an excellent speaker and was additionally aided by the fact that our church had no power on Sunday. He really had to project as Jesus surely did when speaking to a big crowd. If hardly ever happens in our church but at the end the congregation broke into spontaneous applause. An excerpt follows:

"IF YOU DO NOT REPENT YOU WILL ALL PERISH AS THEY DID! To repent comes from the Greek word metanoeo, from which comes the English word metanoia. It has two meanings: to change one’s mind, about God, about yourself and about your neighbor. It also means to change your behavior, to turn away from sin and to turn toward God. In Ph 2:13 St. Paul says this: for God is at work in you both to will and to work for His good pleasure. Let’s look at that more closely. God is at work in you: His grace is already present and more than sufficient; the power of the Holy Spirit is not only overshadowing you but He is within you; finally, you have easy access to the sacraments. To will: comes from the Greek word thelo, which means to decide, to purpose, to resolve. To what end? To reject Satan, all his works and all of his empty promises. And, to work comes from the Greek word energeo, which translates as the energy, the power, the work-ability TO DO GOD’S WILL. Let me give you an example: one evening I was praying Evening Prayer. I had intended after that to watch one TV show and then to be in bed by 9:00pm. I sensed that the Lord wanted to say something to me, and had I known what, I would have put my fingers in my ears! He said, You don’t HAVE to watch TV. He didn’t command me, or point His finger at me. He pointed out that I had a choice! But I wanted to watch that show. What ensued over the next twenty minutes was a battle of epic proportions. You don’t have to - but I want to. Back and forth the battle raged. I was torn because I wanted to heed the Lord’s suggestion but I also wanted what I felt like I needed. Finally I shouted out: In the Name of Jesus I will NOT watch TV. As soon as I made the decision the turmoil ended. I exercised the freedom to will and along with it came the energy and ability to carry out that decision! Brothers and sisters, when the devil is banging on the door of your thoughts, feelings, and emotions, you don’t HAVE to open it to him. Rather, resist the devil and he will flee from you (Jms 4:7), not only him but the temptation along with him!"

God bless all those who teach us.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Thank you for sharing the inspiring sermon.

Why was there no power?

Rosemary said...

Mimi, I don't know why. Isn't that odd? Perhaps it was the Holy Spirit ensuring that this message would be delivered with the force he knew Deacon Stve was capable of.

Mimi said...

Perhaps, Thanks be to God