Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Family of Origin-- there's nothing like siblings.


I'm sorry I'm behind on my blogging-- both reading and writing.

I spent Tuesday all day at my father's house together with my sister and brother going over things. We have a monumental job ahead of us. My parents lived there for 40 years.....

It was sad but also heartwarming to be with both of them in our home. There was a feeling of unreality, though. How could Mom and Dad not be there? How could they be gone? It felt a little surreal.
I've posted the above picture before of the three of us with Dad. (I'm on the far left in the green.) It just seemed appropriate for this day.
I'm so thankful for my brother and sister. My sister is 8 years younger than I. My brother is 13 months older. We get on each other's nerves sometimes but we hold no grudges. If we're mad at each other we say so. We fight it out and usually end up laughing. They can both make me laugh till I cry.

8 comments:

ukok said...

Rosemary,

No need for apologies.

I don't envy you the task ahead. Though I hope that it can also be a time of happy reflection for you all and not only a painful reminder of your loss.

(((big hugs)))

Suzanne said...

Rosemary,
I know this is all difficult, weird, bittersweet and on what you are having to do. Do you know that I sit and blog at almost the exact spot that my dear father passed away at? Yes, I do. It is in this very room that he went to where our Father took him...hopefully to Heaven cause he was a good man in general. Anyway,
you walk out of this room and go into the spare bedroom downstairs here and enter the room that my dear mother passed away in.
Some people would not think that they could do this...in fact, I wondered if I could stay here, but I feel close to them in this "family home" and as much as I'd like to move to a "new pretty,"
there are times, I just can't bear the thought of it! Memories! Ah, the memories! We can let the sad ones or the good ones take over...I choose the good in every way I can and that helps no matter what I am doing, where I might be, or what memory I might see, but it does take a little time, dear, be patient with yourself and try to enjoy and know they are watching you right where you are ...they are there if God is good and I know He is and I feel them. So, it isn't weird where I sit and type...I just have a little company! :)

Amber said...

Beautiful picture... thanks for sharing...

EC Gefroh said...

Oh Rosemary! Here's I'm giving you a cyber hug!

Renee said...

I hope that this time with your siblings will help you grieve in a healing way. May your parents' memories be eternal!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Great picture. I hope you can spend some time remembering all the smiles as you do this difficult work.

And re your comment on the booby traps my kids are setting--my teenage boy also has something rigged up so he can turn out his light from the bed. Too funny!

Rosemary said...

Thank you all for your support and well wishes. Barb, I'm laughing.

Rosemary said...

Thank you all for your support and well wishes. Barb, I'm laughing.