Monday, February 19, 2007

A Prayer For Those Growing Old

A Prayer For Those Growing Old
Lord, Thou knowest I am
growing older. Keep me from
becoming talkative and possessed
with the idea that I must
express myself on every subject.
Release me from the craving to
straighten out everyone's affairs.
Keep me from the recital of
endless detail. Give me wings to
get to the point.
Seal my lips when I am inclined
to tell of my aches and pains.
They are increasing with the years
and my love to speak of them
grows sweeter as time goes by.
Teach me the glorious lesson
that occasionally I may be wrong.
Make me thoughtful but not
nosey; helpful but not bossy.
With my vast store of wisdom
and experience it does seem a pity
not to use it all. But Thou
knowest, Lord, that I want a few
friends at the end.
I wish I could give credit to the author of this prayer. It is on the back of a laminated holy card with no author listed. It is a very good prayer for me. It makes me smile.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Me too. It is so true. I do alot of my talking on the blog so that I can TRY to keep more quiet and thoughtful and a good listener in person...hope you all don't mind! :) I read something similar to this a long time ago in the prayer section of my mom and dad's Bible. Hmmm, might be the same one!

Rosemary said...

Perhaps it is the same one, Suzanne. I must admit I too need to be a better listener!

Mimi said...

I love it.

Amen.