Saturday, February 03, 2007

Homemaking Meme

Esther has tagged me so here goes:

Aprons- Y/N- I love aprons but I don't always wear one. My favorite is a Japanese one that I've had for over twenty years. It's a kind of orangy pattern and gathered very full at the waist so the coverage is very good. I think it's pretty and very functional.

Baking-- Favorite thing to bake: Dutch apple pie. My sister-in-law gave me the best dutch apple pie recipe in the world, several decades ago. I like to bake it because I like to eat it. (as does my husband and several of my children.)

Clothesline- Y/N No. I use the dryer and towel racks in my bathroom for things that can't go in the dryer. I have thought that I would like a clothesline in the summer though.

Donuts-- Have you ever made them? Unfortunately yes. For a number of years my family helped make hundreds of donuts as part of a fundraiser for my children's high school. Most families cleaned the U of M stadium after home football games and a few of us got up at like 4:00am to make the donuts for the families to eat when they were done. The frying in the fat was so disgusting you almost (note I said almost) couldn't eat them. I would feel sick for the rest of the day.

One homemaking thing you do every day-- Well, dishes, of course. Usually I do at least one load of laundry too. Pick up things my kids have left on the floor-- like wet towels grrrr.

Freezer-- Do you have a separate deep freeze? We used to but it broke and I very much miss it. We will either buy another or get a second refrigerator.

Garbage Disposal-- Y/N? Yes

Handbook-- What is your favorite homemaking resource? My dear friend Jeanne who is the best Italian cook in the world, also the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook and a folder in which I have stuffed my favorite recipes.

Ironing--Love it or hate it? I don't hate it but I rarely do it. It just doesn't seem like a priority item.

Junk drawer--Y/N? Where is it? Yes, in the kitchen. One official junk drawer and two that are about half junk. :)

Kitchen: Design and decorating? We recently wallpapered one wall in a blue floral pattern with a coordinated border around the work area. I love the border. It has deep blues and looks like a shelf with various pitchers and post on it.

Love: What is your favorite part of homemaking? Cooking for my family, folding laundry if there is a good program on the radio, and most of all, of course, caring for my children.

Mop Y/N rarely. I do a lot of spot cleaning, though.

Nylons-- Wash by hand or in the washing machine? in a lingerie bag (a mesh bag) in the washer.

Oven-- Do you use the window or t open the door to check? I open the door.

Pizza-- What do you put on yours? My family likes it plain so we usually get plain. I like ham, bacon, black olives-- almost anything different, but my family won't go for it.

Quiet-- What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment? Blog, pray, read, pay bills

Recipe Card Box Y/N? No. Favorite recipes are stuffed in a folder. I finally recopied my mother's recipe for stuffed mushrooms when I saw that the envelope I had written it on was postmarked twenty years ago. (I'm not kidding.)

Style of house-- cape cod (two large dormers in the front, full 2 story in the back. Smallish living room, family room and eating area but 5 bedrooms upstairs and 2 1/2 baths total-- works for us.

Tablecloths and napkins? not usually. (Well, paper napkins, yes)

Under the kitchen sink-- organized or toxic wasteland? Neither-- it's stuffed with paper and plastic bags, maybe a pitcher for watering plants, not much else

Vacuum-- how many times per week? Per week?? Once a week if I'm lucky. Usually it's one of the kids' Saturday jobs. Do some of you really vacuum more than once a week? (Now I'm starting to feel guilty.)

Wash-- How many loads of laundry do you do in a week? Probably at least twelve.

X's-- Do you keep a daily list of things to do and cross them off? I list a few very important things that I must not forget. I don't make a complete list because when I used to do that it was too depressing at the end of the day to see how few checks there were.

Yard-- Who does what? My husband cuts the grass. I do all the gardening. When the dog poop gets picked up I'm the one to do it. Bringing out lawn furniture, hammock etc. is all done by my husband.

Zzz's--What is your last homemaking task for the day before going to bed? If I'm not too tired and I think of it, I shine the sink ala Flylady. I also check to make sure the doors are locked and I turn out lights.

OK I tag:

Denise

Mimi

Amy Caroline

Mary Poppins Not

Lori

And anyone else who feels inclined to do it. :)

7 comments:

EC Gefroh said...

Good answers Rosemary. I may have to give Flylady another try. I stopped after a bit because of the amount of email reminders. She stressed me out :-)

Rosemary said...

I did too for the same reason, Esthers. I did love her sweet and gentle encouragement though. I've been told that the emails can now be bundled so they arrive as one? Thanks for tagging me. :)

Mimi said...

Eeeek, I got tagged! Grin. Thanks.

Wonderful to get to know you better! Who knew that housework was such a window into our soul, but it sure is!

Renee said...

I'll get to it soon. Thanks for thinking of me!

Renee said...

Okay Rosemary, it's finished.

Lisa said...

Hi, Rosemary!
I LOVE Dutch Apple Pie! *Yum*
I have enjoyed reading through your posts. *Smile*

Rosemary said...

Lisa, dutch apple is my very favorite and this recipe from my sister-in-law is the best I've ever had. I can email it to you if you'd like. Thanks for visiting my blog.