Saturday, January 13, 2007

That maternal instinct...

Today we took my oldest back to Notre Dame after his Christmas break. I have said good-bye to him many times. At 17 he entered the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. He once boarded a container ship and didn't return until having made two round trips across the Atlantic, and spending Christmas at sea. He's 22 now and a few months from college graduation and I still got choked up saying good-bye to him. It was no longer because of fears for his safety or concerns about his level of maturity and judgment. It was just because I would miss him. It was so nice to have him home. It was hard to leave him. Is that just the presence of that maternal instinct, that attachment, that inexplicable love we have for our children?

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh, yes, it is! I will always love my children...always try to be grateful for them. It is hard, but a beautiful thing...mother love and the deep love that children young and old really have deep down for their mothers or that yearning ...and for good fathers and that is okay...difficult at times, but good.

Denise said...

We leave for the airport in about twenty minutes to send my oldest back to Texas A&M. We sent the second child back to Rice last weekend. I miss them so much when they are gone. I can hardly believe that in a mere 18 months child #3 will be leaving the nest too. This all moves so fast! Rosemary, I will keep you and your son in my prayers.

Curious Servant said...

It's a divine thing.

Rosemary said...

CM, I will keep you and your children in mine as well.

Cathy said...

My brother was in the USMM.
;)

Rosemary said...

Ma Beck, Really? The academy at Kings Point? Was it recently?