Sunday, January 21, 2007

"Happy Feet"



Yesterday we took the girls to see "Happy Feet." We do not usually go to so many movies in so short a time. There were just several we really wanted to see.

"Happy Feet" is full of very cute penguins, some really fun song and dance numbers, and beautiful arctic scenery, and some great action scenes. I have to say I liked the first half better than the second. All of the above features made the first half a really delightful show. After that some very worn out 70s themes came into the story. An old leader penguin criticizes Mumble for dancing and not singing and the old be-your-own-person, reject-traditions, the-old-don't- know type emotionalism is introduced into the story. Add to that a dose of environmentalism (the humans are ruining everything again) and the second half really gets a little tiresome. You find yourself thinking, "What happened to the cute little penguin story." It's not too in your face, though. I'd say there's nothing truly offensive. It just starts to take itself a little too seriously in the second half. Still, there were enough good features that I'd say I did enjoy it except for it feeling a little too long.

Our family agreed that we enjoyed "Night at the Museum" more. (I'm trying to post a picture of the film with a trailer but I seem to be doing something wrong. Here's another try.

4 comments:

Mimi said...

My Dh and my youngest went and saw it, and my Dh echoed a lot of your comments - we are pretty environmental and he still felt it was just outside the scope of the movie and dragged.

Rosemary said...

Yes, it was "outside the scope of the movie." They just couldn't pull it off. It wasn't the right kind of movie for that.

ukok said...

I want to see 'Night at the Museum' but I'll have to wait for it to come out on DVD now I think :-(

It looks like the kind of film my son would just love to bits!

Rosemary said...

It's very exciting-- a real boys'movie:)