Monday, January 15, 2007

For those longing for motherhood-- a story of hope

After I lost my first baby to a miscarriage my Aunt June told me the following story about Mrs. Clark.

Mrs. Clark was the offspring of Irish Catholic immigrants. She very much wanted children. Her first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage. She lost her next two babies as well to miscarriage. She conceived again and carried this baby to term.... only to experience a stillbirth. Her doctor told her to avoid another pregnancy, that she would never carry a live baby to term. Mrs. Clark did not give up.

She became pregnant again and carried this baby to term and brought him into the world alive!! It was a boy whom she named Matthew. He would many years later become my Uncle Matt, married to my Aunt June. My Uncle Matt was a man of great love and kindness, a man I am convinced is a saint. But that is not the end of the story. Mrs. Clark never lost a baby again and went on to eventually become the mother of ten healthy children. God is good.

There is always hope.

9 comments:

EC Gefroh said...

What a beautiful story!!! Thanks for sharing that one.

Kristen Laurence said...

Yes, a beautiful story. My husband and I tried for children for six years, then pursued an adoption that failed after we'd held and loved the baby in the hospital. We wouldn't give up, got back on the waiting list for another baby and brought our baby girl home a month later! We've adopted two girls now, and I'm beginning to ache for another!

You are so right, there IS always hope!

Rosemary said...

Kristen, yours is a beautiful story too. I am happy for you.

Anonymous said...

One of my good friends had that happen to her. She finally had 4 children and now has lots of grandchildren. When I was infertile for so long, it hurt so bad because I didn't know another soul who was going through the 9 year long pain and now over the last few years, I have met so many who have suffered in different ways concerning little ones and so I was never "alone" in all of it...and God blessed me with 5 children..one being in Heaven and also a tiny one through miscarriage who also is in Heaven we trust. Suzanne

Rosemary said...

Suzanne, it sounds like you have an inspiring story too. God is good.

Beth said...

HI Rosemary,
Thanks for the comment on my blog and for sharing this story. We struggled with infertility for 4 years - actively trying for 2 years, before we conceived this baby who is due in 6 weeks. I appreciate her so much and don't even mind all the aches and pains of pregnancy - just offer them all up for her. I know God had a reason for all of this. We hope to have many more children after this!

Rosemary said...

Beth, may God bless this baby and give you many more.

FloridaWife said...

Ten children!!!!!! That is so WONDERFUL!!! Thank you, Rosemary, for posting this. I LOVE stories like these. AND I loved reading all the comments above.

Rosemary said...

floridawife, I wrote it with you and some other moms in mind. I was so encouraged when my aunt told it to me. God bless you!!