Saturday, December 09, 2006

Is he home?

The other day my brother asked to see my father's will. I had a copy in a totebag that I nearly always have with me. I looked around and didn't see it. I looked around my bedroom. It wasn't there. I looked under the bed, in the closet, on the stairway. It wasn't there. I went out and searched the car. Then I really started to get frantic. Where could I have left my father's will?? I thought I must have left it somewhere odd, having put it down without realizing it...
I went into the laundry room and looked around. It wasn't there. I started to panic. Then I looked up and realized that if my father were already in heaven he could intercede for me. I said, "Dad, if you're in heaven, help me find the will..... in the next five minutes." I didn't want to be deceived. I wanted to make it hard. Then I prayed, "Lord, if my father is not yet in heaven, please do not let me find it in the next five minutes. You know I will take it as a sign that he is home. Don't let me find it if he is not."

Then I went back upstairs. Not even a minute had passed. My oldest daughter was in the kitchen. I asked if she had seen my blue totebag. She said, "Yeah, it's in my car." Stunned, I just looked at her, smiling. She said, "What...do you want me to go get it?" I just said, "Yeah, that would be great." Later I told her about my prayer.

I will not assume my father is in heaven. I will still pray for his soul and have Masses said for him. But there were indeed a lot of people praying for him in the last month of his life. And I did ask for the intercession of Saint Joseph, who is said to never let anyone down. It would seem I have good reason to hope.

God bless all you prayer warriors.

9 comments:

ukok said...

That gave me goosebumps, Rosemary :-)

I will continue to pray for the repose of your Father's soul and for the family who mourn his loss.

Michelle said...

How very comforting.

Colleen said...

That's a lovely story. Just this morning at Mass, I remembered all my acquaintances in cyberspace. So, I'm still praying for your father. And you!

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and may perpetual light shine upon him.

Mimi said...

Wow. I am also amazed at how God works in our lives.

(on a side note, your tote bag sounds like the briefcase with the phone that the President has, giggle!)

Rosemary said...

Thank you for your prayers.

Yes, Mimi, my totebag holds quite a few important things :)

Renee said...

I am glad you are being comforted in your grief. We have every reason to hope that your dad, a child of God, the God who conquered death, is resting in the Lord. May your father's memory be eternal!

Rosemary said...

Thank you so much, MPN!

Anonymous said...

As I understand, and based on your prayer, you already have your confirmation that your father is in heaven. May the Lord comfort you and bring you peace in your grief

Jay

Rosemary said...

Jay, Thank you so much.