Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I am numb.

There is a part of me that looks back at the last week and asks, "What just happened? Is my father really gone? Could it have been a very realistic bad dream?" I guess this is denial.

The funeral was very beautiful. The son of two professional musicians, my father always loved great music. And he especially loved the music played by his grandchildren.

My dear friend Mary, a professional opera singer sang several solos including Ave Maria and the Irish Blessing. She was also the cantor. My sons Mike and John sang the psalm response in harmony. My son John played a movement of a Lizt sonata on the piano. My daughter Anne played a violin solo as a communion meditation. And Jim and Anne did readings. I'm sure my father was pleased.

He was entombed (right word?)with my mother in a mausoleum. My father bought this rather extravagant crypt when my mother died. It's in a very beautiful building. What was just amazing to me was that when they opened it we could actually see my mother's casket again. My father's casket was identical to hers and they still looked identical. The finish on hers was just as flawless as his. She died 2 years and 9 months ago. While it may sound morbid, it actually felt like an awesome privilege to be able to see her casket again. I know she's in heaven and not there, but still it seemed like an experience of part of her again.

I can't tell you how much I feel and appreciate all of your prayers. May God richly reward all of you!!

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Rosemary, I try to stop here every day to remember to say a prayer for you and your family. Peace to you all.

Mimi said...

Rosemary, you have every right to feel numb, my prayers surround you and your family at this time. What a gift to see your mom, and may your dear dad's Memory be Eternal.

I lit a candle for his repose on Sunday for you.

Love,

Renee said...

Still praying for you. I am sorry for your loss, again, and truly hope the lovely funeral for your dad, and the chance to be near you mother will comfort you in these next days. It is obvious your dad was well loved, and that goes beyond death. Prayers and blessings!

EC Gefroh said...

It sounds like your dear dad a lovely funeral. Very touching Rosemary. I've been wondering how you were holding up.
God bless,

Denise said...

Rosemary,

My heart goes out to you and your family. You are in my prayers. I am glad the funeral could incorporate the music he loved. It is even more special that people he loved performed it. God bless you always.
--Denise

Anonymous said...

((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you
Every Blessing
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

Rosemary said...

Thank you all so very, very much.

ukok said...

Rosemary,

If a funeral service/Mass can be beautiful then I certainly think that your Father's must have been. How lovely that his grandchildren were blessed with and used their talents to give thanks for his life here on earth.

I continue to pray for you and yours.

God Bless