Thursday, November 02, 2006

Day 4 on the ventilator

Day 4 on the ventilator...

My dad was a little less alert today and not as communicative. His numbers were still OK. Meds are keeping his blood pressure up and, with the respirator, his oxygen levels are good. Still, I feel a growing sense of grief. He still could pull through although one doctor has said he does not expect it. Although, I've been aware for a long time that his health was declining, to be here watching him breathe on a respirator still leaves me in disbelief. I feel very vulnerable and numb. But I know that when I am weak He is strong, (Jesus, that is) and it is His strength that is carrying me through.

My youngest made a very colorful design of the word "Grandpa" and we taped it to the wall with a few grandkids' pictures.

I'm taking one day at a time.... that's all any of us have, right?

11 comments:

Renee said...

Oh, I am sorry. It's a moment none of us want to think about, for sure. May our Lord hold you and our Lady comfort you!

ukok said...

Sorry to learn that your dad was a little less responsive yesterday. All we can do is pray for God's will to be done and for the strength to accept what lies ahead. It's a hard thing to do and I haven't experienced this with my parents yet, thanks be to God, but I only pray I can be strong and accept God's will for my parents when it is their time.

Of course, this may well not be your father's time, he may indeeed recover from this. I pray that he will and I ask God to strengthen and comfort you.

Michelle said...

Still praying for your dad and for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

God bless and protect you all at this time

Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Continuing to hold you all in prayers.

Amber said...

I will say a prayer for your family... May God give you peace and strength at this time...

Reenie said...

My prayer for you and your dad and your family is that His peace may surround all of you during this time, no matter what happens. Sorry i missed your call the other night :( definitely let me know if you need anything. Love and prayers, Reenie

Mimi said...

Continued prayers.

I love the pictures for your dad, that's a beautiful gift.

Denise said...

I am praying for you and your dad. May you find strength and comfort in the arms of Jesus in the days ahead.

EC Gefroh said...

Rosemary, I'm still praying as I know a lot of us are.
God bless,

Rosemary said...

Thank you all so very, very much!!