Saturday, November 18, 2006

ALS????

Today I learned that the neurologist talked to my dad yesterday and told him that the most likely diagnosis is ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease). She told him this without talking to us first and without even informing us. In other words. she told an 81 year old man on a ventilator that he has a terminal illness and may never be able to breath again on his own. She told him this without a single family member being present, and without even so much as a phone call to let his family know. And he can't talk to ask any questions.

I was furious. They couldn't do the tracheotomy or the muscle biopsy without my signing a consent form, but they can deliver to him the equivalent of a death sentence without informing me before or after. I felt like saying when was I going to find out, when he spelled ALS on the alphabet board??

Anyway, I''m not convinced it's accurate anyway since several doctors had already said they had ruled out ALS. Why would she tell him such a thing without 100% certainty? Could it be that after 20 days on a ventilator and no diagnosis they thought they better write something down? They don't even have the results of the muscle biopsy yet.

OK. I'm calming down. Thanks for letting me vent. We had a nice day anyway, even though Michigan lost. He had six grandchildren, 2 children, 1 in-law, and two friends at the hospital, taking turns watching the game with him. He smiled most of the time. I think he really enjoyed all the company so much that the game results were almost irrelevant.

Please continue to pray for my dad (Richard) and our family and for an accurate diagnosis-- and, most of all, for the Lord's most perfect will to be accomplished at this most significant time in my dad's life. The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the Lord.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

We are praying for you!

Colleen said...

I'm sorry that she did that to your father. Nice bedside manner, eh?

It's been my experience that, yes, sometimes they just want to get something diagnosed, rather than admit that they're still puzzled.

Lots of prayers your way!

Anonymous said...

What a mean, mean thing to do. I know how it made you feel. A nurse did that to my Dad also. My Mom and brother had just left the room for a few minutes, this nurse walked in and told my my Dad he had only weeks to live. When Mom and brother walked back in the room Dad was crying. The people who do this will have to answer before God. Prayers.

EC Gefroh said...

Oh Rosemary! How terrible!! I hope you explained to your dad that it wasn't certain yet. Will continue praying.
God bless,
Esther

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your ongoing struggles.

God lift you and carry you along at this time

God bless
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

Mimi said...

Vent away, my friend.

Continued prayers.

Rosemary said...

Thank you all!

ukok said...

Oh my, what an insensitive thing that doctor did to tell your father the news with no loved ones there to offer support :-(

Please know that though I haven't been over much lately, I have remembered your father in my prayers, and of course, all your family.

God Bless you all

Rosemary said...

jThank you so much, ukok.