Monday, October 09, 2006

Is bald beautiful?

Where did bald men get the idea that having no hair at all was more attractive than having a little hair. I'm wondering if younger women think differently about this than I. I just don't get it. How could that shiny cue-ball looking head be more attractive than one adorned with at least a little hair? If slightly balding is not attractive isn't completely bald even worse? I guess I don't think totally bald men look good at all, and I'm wondering why a lot of men apparently do think they look good completely bald. Is it to show they don't care that they're balding? (yeah, right.) Sort of an atitude that says....I'm so tough that even though I 'm balding I'm going to show the world I don't care by shaving all my hair off. I bet I'm over analyzing this. My 21 year old daughter says some completely bald men are more attractive than they would be if they were just partially bald. This is particularly true, she says, if the guy is quite young and starting to bald. Anyway, how's this for a trivial post. LOL

6 comments:

Amy said...

You know, I always thought of it as embracing the fact! I think about those guys who do those comb-overs, you know that one strand of hair pulled over the balding pate, as if that would fool anyone. Or those that brush their hair forward from the back, giving them the quasi-Caesar look.
Honestly, I would much prefer a completely bald man to those travesties.
But look at men like, oh man, I can't remember his name... the guy that played Jean-Luc Picard. Now he is a good looking man and has just a little hair.

Anonymous said...

My husband has always been "hair challenged." He has hair, but it's quite thin and he never found a style that worked for him.

When he was in Marine Corps Office Candidate School, he got a buzz cut so short he was essentially bald (he was referred to as "Velcro Head" for quite a while). He decided he preferred the no muss, no fuss-ness of no hair, and that's how he wears it today. It's not cue-ball shiny, but close enough!

I rather like it -- I can't even imagine his having a head of hair (which would be pure white now, I am sure). It feels cool, too.

Until Teddy entered high school he'd get a "number one buzz" every summer, like his dad. Now he's discovered a style which quite suits him -- very retro, rather like his personality.

Mimi said...

I'm with Amy, I like men who embrace their baldingness and don't do the combover or perm their remaining hair.

My father went bald when my mom did through her chemo - her hair grew back but he has kept his shorn.

Rosemary said...

Amy Caroline, I like that. Embracing the baldness. Now that I understand. Why should one fret or bemoan approaching baldness. Just embrace it. Yeah. And I definitely agree that it's preferable to comb-overs,etc.

Ruthann, the buzz cut does feel really nice. When my sons do that I can't keep my hands off it. But even the buzz doesn't show skin like a shave does. (well, you can see the skin. You just can't see the shine, I guess. Ted was handsome, either way.

Mimi, I think shaving one's head in solidarity with someone on chemo is a very noble thing to do. I have seen people do that.

Well you guys have given me a new perspective. I must say too, in case such people might be reading this,that I know some men who have shaved their heads for whom I have great respect and affection.

Thanks for your comments.

Michelle said...

I agree with your daughter about younger men's shaved heads looking better than a receding hairline. My poor hubby has thinning hair, but he's happy that his military job makes his short-short style acceptable. But he won't totally shave it. He's afraid he would look like a neo-Nazi! Men with darker skin tones can really pull off the shaved head look.

Amber said...

I'm 31 and I agree with your dauther that once a man loses TOO much hair, it's better just to shave the rest off. Or at least keep what they have left very short, otherwise they run the risk of a comb-over... *eyes bulging*