Saturday, September 23, 2006

Morning Demons

Do you ever wake up very early in the morning, earlier than you want to get up, yet still unable to fall back asleep? For me, it is this time when I am most vulnerable to those demons of the morning--- the "what-if" demons, the "ain't it awful" demons, the glass half empty (as opposed to half full) demons, the negative filter demons... I think you know what I mean.

At such times I often say the rosary, but it is often a desperate sort of rosary, a frantic intercession for some issue I've blown out of proportion. I need to recognize that at these times I do not think clearly. I'm seeing through a glass darkly.

I am going to try to rest quietly, to still my troubled thoughts, and focus on the presence of Jesus... perhaps while saying the rosary, if the mind won't stay still.

At adoration yesterday I read Psalm 17:15.

But I in justice shall behold your face;
on waking, I shall be content in
your presence.

May I be content in His presence on waking and throughout the day as well!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't fall asleep as easily as my husband and I have late night demons as opposed to early morning ones. It is good to hear that others have asimilar type of problem. I really need the reminder to really just lay it at the feet of Jesus and let it go.

God bless.
Jodi

EC Gefroh said...

Rosemary, it happened to me early this morning. But I forced myself to say over and over, "Jesus, I trust in You." It gave me peace and I was able to fall asleep.

Colleen said...

Whenever I have this middle-of-the-night demons, I think of little babies. If I get scared in the middle of the night, think of how they feel!

My favorite comfort is to say a Divine Mercy Chaplet. Sometimes, if I'm really feeling the creeps, not just the "what ifs," but truly feeling scared, I repeat "Satan, be gone!" over and over.