Saturday, September 16, 2006

Go Irish!!!!!! (Or why I love Notre Dame)

I am a graduate of University of Michigan. My father, my grandfather, and my sister are all graduates. And I live in Ann Arbor!

But I will be cheering for Notre Dame this afternoon. Why?

First of all, because the maternal instinct trumps all other affiliations and I have a son at Notre Dame who I'm just a little proud of.

I also love Notre Dame, as I've written about before, because when you walk on the campus you can feel the grace. I believe Our Lady's hand is on the school. I can think of no other explanation. The fact that there is also a spiritual battle going on at ND only confirms this belief. Where else would the demons be most furious but where her favor rests?

Throughout the administration, from the president to the dining hall workers, there is a kindness, a competence, a humility, and a courtesy that I have never experienced at any other university.

So..... Go Irish!!!!!!

4 comments:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

You're absolutely right. I went to ND for my grad degree and there is just "something very special" there. My husband doesn't get it, but he's never been there. I guess the only way to fix it is to bring him to South Bend.

Rosemary said...

Those who have been there all know, right Barb? And wasn't today's game a heartbreaker. Oh my goodness. What on earth happened. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Mimi said...

My husband comes from a strong Notre Dame family - in fact, he looked at going there himself (even though he's not Catholic). Anyway, I'm not a football fan, but I admire their strong faith and work in the community.

Rosemary said...

The Notre Dame family is very large. Thanks, Mimi