Sunday, August 27, 2006

University of Notre Dame

I went to Notre Dame yesterday to take some things to my son.

Notre Dame is a special place. There is a grace about that school that is difficult to explain to those who have never been there. For those who have, no explanation is necessary. They know.

It is a grace-filled place. It is not a perfect school. There are things here and there. Clearly, Satan is after it from within and from without. But he doesn't seem to be able to touch the heart of Notre Dame.

I believe this is Mary's school and that her hand is upon it in a very special way. I believe she has a special presence there and it is palpable.

How else to explain the graciousness of everyone there from the administration,, to the financial aid office, to student accounts, to the cafeteria workers..... There is a humility.

I once wondered if I was really just taken with maternal pride at my son's attendance at a university with such prestige. I felt like God revealed to me that it is the presence of His mother that gives Notre Dame its prestige. It's all because of her.

My husband and I said the rosary together at the grotto. It was a special time at a special school-- the University of Our Lady.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

My dear Grandfather-in-Law was ND Class of 33. May his Memory be Eternal.

Lori said...

From everything that I have always heard Notre Dame is a wonderful University. It's great that your son found such a "good fit".

My daughter also attends a very good university. When looking for colleges we all knew right away this was where she would be. It had a "home away from home" feel. Friendly and Christian.

Rosemary said...

Always nice to have our children settled on a path and in a place that seems right for them.

Mimi, class of 33! How cool is that? Go Irish!