Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A special time with daughter Mary

Yesterday, all of my children except one had gone in different directions. Eleven year old Mary was the only one home. This is a pretty rare event. It was late in the day, but I thought this is a good opportunity to have some one-on-one time with her. I made the wild suggestion that the two of us go to a nearby water park. Even as I said it I thought, do I really want to do this? I'm tired. Water parks are exhausting. It will cost money, etc. But we went.

It cost less than I thought because it was 5:00. It was a lot of fun. I even went down the slide and it wasn't that scary. We went in the wave pool. We climbed the play structure. We floated on the "lazy river." It was peaceful and fun-- a rare opportunity to play with just Mary.

I could have gotten some laundry done. I could have cleaned a bathroom or updated my planner. But I would have missed all the fun. Sometimes enjoying life with one or more children is just so much more important than being able to check off another item on my to-do-list. The list will still be there tomorrow. But the chance to have some special time with just Mary would be gone.

May I always listen when the Lord tells me to put aside my agenda and follow His.

4 comments:

Renee said...

So true! I think this is one of the most delightful aspects of having children. An excuse to play well into middle age, and not just play, but deepening love at the same time. I am so glad you had a great time with your youngest.

Rosemary said...

Thank you. And those of us who had children late in life have the special priveledge of doing this for even more years. (Mary's my second youngest. I have a nine year old too.)

Unknown said...

Rose,
You are an inspiration to me. I have gotten a few things done this summer, a few checks off my list of many things to be done, but I have not made enough time to play with my children and grandboys yet! Maybe there is still some time left!

Lori said...

Woo-hoo rosemary, sounds like fun! I wish we had a water park close by. The nearest one is 2 hrs. away. If it were closer I'm sure we'd be there alot.

Time with our kids is precious. I too have little ones at an older age and love it. I have another chance and I'm smarter this time around.

Lori